addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Antonio Sportbike Riders Message Board › thanks to all who make ridesmart trackdays possible.

thanks to all who make ridesmart trackdays possible.

Scott
user 10677363
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 48
Steven,

I would have thought the leathers would have been the biggest factor although you can rent those. The more people that go but don't have trucks will make getting our bikes to the track a concern for all of us!

My votes for that poll would be: friends, instruction, and practice but not sure which would be the most important.

Scott,

Do those pipes double as rocket thrusters? j/k but here's a real question for once. How does that rear tire feel while leaning into a turn?
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 249
here's a real question for once. How does that rear tire feel while leaning into a turn?

hmmmmmm...warm i guess.

with what part of your body are u feeling the rear tire with while leaning into a turn scott? lol
A former member
Post #: 34
Steve, don't really notice to much of a difference, ride is great, holds the road really well, its the front tire i have issues with, pushes pretty bad. When new (after break in) was ok, drag running boards, now with about 6000 miles on it give or take, not so much. I will not buy another Metzler unless it the only one available and i cant wait for something diff. Pretty poor tire, on all aspect.
Scott, that would be cool jet flames coming out the pipes going down the road.
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 251
the weight and geometry of the bike will definitely push the front tire. the trade off of a "performance" tire would be less mileage though. what size are the front and rear tires on your bike?
A former member
Post #: 35
The front is a 150/80/17 metzler, rear 205/55/16 goodyear, rear is z rated, im not sure on the front i think its only rated for 170, i think its a w rating. get pretty good wear on rear but it is a car tire, 60,000 mile, the front maybe 8,000, if i only stay on the high can push it to 12,000. but i do like to corner as far as i can with out it sliding out from under me, if you know what i mean.
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 252
wow!!! those are some miles...lol. i get about 4k on my street tires.
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 263

A former member
Post #: 230
Hey Scott, the valkyrie works well in Level One once the suspension has been set up for it. Roger Alpert, our trackside suspension guru can do it in 20 minutes for $30. Weve also run Goldwings, Vulcans, a Road King,old triumphs, etc. Finding a sporting tire in those sizes isnt easy though.
A former member
Post #: 116
here's a list of things people have learned at the track. this comes from another forum im on. hope its ok to use this to show the benefits of trackdays

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­---------

1. Bigbob65 - Learned the limits of my bikes braking capabilitys
2. gospeed81 - I learned to get my bottom off the seat.
3. Level5 - learned not to brake hard in mid corner
4. Jason73- I learned to blip, brake and downshift all at the same time
5. mekrew - if you go fast enough leathers can slide across pavement like a slip and slide
6. Zr1 - I learned crashing is expensive!
7. switch - learned how to brake hard, and to trust modern tire technology, etc.
8. DrAwkwArD - Learned to have confidence in my ability...and my TIRES!
9. maclowry - learned to use the force and listen to my jedi masters, will the bike where you want it to go.
10. jluna9657 - learned that it takes more than just drag racing down the straights.
11.steve600rr - learned to look through the corner and trail braking
12. broken - crashing isn't so bad sometimes and can make people think you're a badass
13. Intermission - I learned I'm slower than I thought
14. worm - That no matter who's faster or slower, when I feel like I'm moving well for me, it's about as much fun as I can have.
15. Blackjack - I learned that parade laps don't count as a track experience since you only go 50 mph.
16. Alstare_Gixxer - I learned that crashing at the track makes me a better mechanic than a Harley guy just riding his bike around.
17. Orion85 - just how bad my BP was, that and I'm too fast for lvl 1 even if I haven't been to that track before.
18. philip - learned what happens when you panic, grab too much brake, and fracture your shoulder blade.
19.hongthaomurphy- ive learned that having your suspension sorted is priceless
20. PYROBUG51-Tires air pressures and Suspension are really important
21. Pattrick- ride my own pace, there is always someone faster
22. Raya Sunshine- I've learned there is some awesome friends at the track
23. Oskar_Z28 - In 2010 - I've learned that I am more out of shape than I thought.
24.agermer-Learned to keep my ball of my foot on the pegs and not the center of my foot! dragging knee not toe!
25. Celine - learned the 14th session in 2 days is NOT the time to be trying to drop lap times
26. Trini - learned that video/pictures are priceless.
27. SIKBLU - learned that you get what you pay for with tires!
28. Tony1K - First track day I learned how slow I really was. Been improving eversince.
29. Captain M-I've learned that I can go WOT & not die.
30. lbjasonc - I learned that lowsiding doesn't hurt that bad
31. -=sean)=- - Use brakes to help bike turn in entering corner and drop the head to get the bike turning more mid-corner. (Wait that's 2 things.)
32. Hypnotic-my body position sucks and I really need to win this so I can improve it!
33. MrT713 - learned how addictive track days really can be...
34. Psycho- that the fastest line around a corner is not always the best for passing.
35. solo - learned to not slide around the tank but pick up the butt and place it
36. HouTex - learned to blip my throttle to match revs when down shifting before turns
37. kingralphthe3rd - learned im still slow
38. proasian3 - learned to get my head lower by Ty himself!
39. JohnK410 - I learned that just because my elbow is on the ground doesnt mean im fast
40. MikeyP - I've learned that having a larger CC bike doesn't necessarily make you any faster when you are riding the track.
41. Monkeypusher - I've learned that I can push harder because of the confidence I've gained in myself and my bike.
42. Sacer625 - I've learned how to ride a bigger bike.
43.BossLady - Combine everything Ive been taught, at once... where I should be looking, body position, trail braking, no coasting, being aggressive & passing, etc
44. Boudreaux - I learned that smaller bikes are more of a challange and thus more fun
45. Mark06gsxr - I learned how much fun track really was, and that I should have been doing it years ago
46. chronic - I learned that the really fast guys are more than willing to help a noob; you just gotta ask
47. JamesP - I learned that I could never really ride my bike until I took it to a track
48. Hando - Its not the bikes limit, its mine
49. Charlie84 - Mainten ance throttle, and how the streets i use to ride like a jack@ss on are outrageously dangerous
50. Dean Laden- Learned that by modualting the clutch you can go into a corner faster and brake deeper while using the engine to help slow the bike down
51. bryhart - fury does not make you faster
52. excbrracer-Worry about being smooth, fast will come.
53. chronic - If you need to go pee, go BEFORE you put on your leathers..
54. HotChickenStrips - Being in good physical shape makes the track fun..being a slob makes it a chore.
55. I learned that if you hit a false neutral going into turn 7 @TWS to pull in the clutch ASAP, before it desides to down shift when it wants to, with out matching the rev's first!
56. Trimmed_jennis - learned that being fat doesn't always mean being slow, but damn sure doesn't mean fast
57. daytona- when you're hot, tired, and hungry you're done! Believe me your collar bone will appreciate it!!!

These are hilarious!!!

9. maclowry - learned to use the force and listen to my jedi masters, will the bike where you want it to go.
29. Captain M-I've learned that I can go WOT & not die.
30. lbjasonc - I learned that lowsiding doesn't hurt that bad
51. bryhart - fury does not make you faster
53. chronic - If you need to go pee, go BEFORE you put on your leathers..

Scott
user 10677363
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 53
Steven,

How the heck did you come across those videos? Seems a lot like what I heard some guy was acting like when Paul told him that their chain is too loose