ScalaSyd Message Board › Job Ad: Macquarie Group - Senior Java/Scala Developer - Contract
My team at Macquarie is looking for a strong Java/Scala developer to help us get a fairly exciting new project up running. We are looking to build a highly distributed trade capture and risk management engine for the FICC business (Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities). This is not your grandma's cookie cutter CRUD app. We have some really meaty computer science problems to get involved with:
- Compiler theory applied to how we parse a domain specific language and optimize the resulting execution graph.
- Systems engineering problems around building internal + private cloud friendly global deployments in Sydney / Singapore / London / New York / Houston.
We are looking to write a fair chunk of this in Scala and the success of this project will have a large impact on the future use of Scala within Macquarie. Ask not what Scala can do for you, but ask what you can do for the Scala Community.
It's initially for a 6 month contract but this is a multi year project and once we have Scala in the door the need for Scala developers will hopefully grow. If you are interested/tempted please check out the official job description below and follow the instructions for submitting an application.
Senior Java/Scala Developer – Front Office Trading and Risk Platform – Capital Markets Group*
Job number: COG-919533
Group: Corporate Operations Group
Recruiter: Andy Logan
Work type: Agency Worker
About the role:
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer for a contract position within the Front Office Trading and Risk Platform team. We are in the early stages of a multi-million dollar programme to modernise the FICC Technology Platform and we have ambitious goals in regards to improving trade booking processes, running risk calculations in a highly distributed cloud friendly manner and improving general software engineering practices around developing, testing and releasing quality software. We are looking to use a fairly exciting technology stack to help us achieve these goals that includes Java, Scala, C++, Akka, Play, RxJava/RxScala, Domain Specific Languages (DSL), Gradle, Git and an integrated Atlassian Toolset (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash).
- Contribute to the design and development of our initial Proof of Concept.
- Contribute to the growing knowledge base around our proposed technology stack.
- Help to build solid processes around automated testing and delivery.
- Communicate/collaborate effectively with a small highly focused local team in order to achieve some fairly aggressive short term goals.
To be successful in this role as a Senior Software Engineer you will be degree qualified in Computer Science or similar with proven development experience in JVM based languages and frameworks. Ideally you will have some experience with functional programming in Scala or a strong desire to learn. Financial services experience is not a requirement, we are first and foremost looking for a strong developer with the following attributes
- Proven problem solving experience
- Proven ability to rapidly learn new technologies and apply them in the simplest way for the task at hand.
- Solid understanding of fundamental computer science concepts such as data structures, algorithms etc.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to provide thought leadership around Scala adoption will be highly regarded.
- Understanding of compiler design / processing DSL's will be highly regarded.
If you meet the above requirements, please apply via the following link. Alternatively to find out more about the position and a confidential discussion, please contact Andy Logan on 02 8237 8472
Corporate Operations Group (COG) provides specialist professional services, human resources, workplace infrastructure, technology and market operations to Macquarie's businesses. The primary purpose of COG is to support and enhance the value of Macquarie through the creation of an efficient, scalable operating model. This is evident across the activities of each of the divisions which comprises of Business Improvement and Strategy Division (BIS), Business Services Division (BSD), COG Business Management, Human Resources Division (HR), Market Operations, Operational Risk Strategy and Support, Shared Services and Technology.