This is open to all who have climbed or bouldered before with the group.
It is possible that you may be asked to belay someone who can not belay. Willingness to do so is a condition of entry, to allow everyone a chance to compete.
Please answer the RSVP questions or you will be moved onto a waiting list.
Members often find these events help push them onto routes they would not normally attempt.
Remember, it's a "fun" competition, so sharing of beta is encouraged.
You can collect your list of routes and problems from the café area from 6:00 onwards. You may inspect the climbs, but must not start before 6:30. You may arrive later, but all climbing finishes at 9:00, so it would be good to consider a strategic plan of attack. Remember, there will be other users too and there may be queues for some routes.
• Routes refer to bottom roping and problems refer to boulder routes.
• Everyone climbs the same routes and problems. There will be bonuses or variations as an incentive for lower grade climbers. The maximum number of points for a clean send will be 10. Bonus points are not additive. So, touching a 5 point bonus on the way to a clean send, earns you 10 points, not 15.
• To send a route or a problem, the last hold must be touched in control with both hands at the same time. Slapping it as you fall does not count.
• There will be one attempt only on a route. There will be some bonus stages or easier options to some routes, and the scoring system for these will be explained on your route sheet.
• You will be allowed three attempts at boulder problems, with decreasing points per effort to send. Bonuses or options will also be detailed on your score sheet.
• If you fall through no fault of your own, for example, a hold spins or a nearby climber swings off the wall towards you or blocks your route, you may take that turn again, with no penalty.
• There will be a 10 point penalty for not adding up your own score at the end (it can take a while to sort and collect scores at the end, so please help speed that up by adding up your own score).
• Due to time constraints, ties will be settled on boulder problems. Highest hold or time will be deciding factors.
We'll be at the Glasgow Climbing Centre on Paisley Road West.
For anyone who's not visited before, you'll find directions on their website here.
A virtual tour of the main climbing area can be found here. Photos of a previous trip can also be viewed here.
As well as the main area, there are also several bouldering areas, an additional top roping area and a training room.
How much does it cost?
Full details can be found on the GCC website here.
(Equipment hire is also available - you will need rock boots and a harness)
Who should come
Open to all climbers and boulderers in the group