Hard: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More dominates Crainlarich, it's near neighbour Stob Binnein is often regarded as its twin, but this more retiring summit is actually the finer of the two peaks, a graceful cone above its supporting ridges.  The route has very steep ascent and descent for most of the way.  There are pathless sections with boggy ground and some dangerous terrain if the route is lost.  Higher up, the ridges are broad with one avoidable scramble on Ben More.

Distance: 12k - we will walk as a group at a moderate pace

Time: 7-8 hours

Ascent: 1335m

Route: We will follow the Walk Highlands route http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-more.shtml 

Please read our participation statement

Please remember you are responsible for deciding if this walk is suitable for you, coming adequately prepared and looking after yourself on the walk.  A recommended gear list can be found on the MCofS website. Good waterproof boots and a headtorch are essential.  

Please do not forget to bring a map (Explorer 365 - the Trossachs) and compass.

Please remember to check the site on Saturday evening - if the weather forecast is very bad the walk may change or be cancelled.

Please indicate on your RSVP if you need or can offer a lift.

We will meet at the start of the walk at 8.45am.

Join or login to comment.

  • Gordon

    Hi folks,
    Unfortunately MWIS forecast has deteriorated, with likely high winds and occasional ferocious gusts reaching the lower slopes. This would not make for a pleasant day out and I have therefore decided to cancel the walk.

    1 · September 21, 2013

    • Guto R.

      Right decision. What a pity.

      September 21, 2013

    • Andrew D.

      I ended going up in the end, it wasn't very pleasant and was very windy, had a munro first as well with someone going up with a crutch... Clouds to the top, though predictably when I was having my post walk coffee at the bottom the clouds cleared and there was even some blue sky.

      September 22, 2013

  • Brian W.

    What a bummer,thanks for organising the walk anyway Gordon :-)

    September 21, 2013

  • Gordon

    Hi folks,
    At the moment the weather is not looking too good with high winds forecast. Please make sure you check the site tomorrow after 6pm to make sure the walk is going ahead.

    1 · September 20, 2013

    • Andrew D.

      But on the bright side dry and quite warm! Every windy cloud...

      1 · September 20, 2013

  • Harrison C.

    Hi everyone,

    Would anyone be able to offer me a lift from Glasgow? It would be much appretiated, and cost of fuel shared of course.



    September 18, 2013

    • Gillian

      ok Brian, thanks. I will be driving to Govan underground so if you decide on Sunday you would rather have a lift, am happy to take the car. Cheers, Gillian

      1 · September 20, 2013

    • Brian W.

      Lol what can I say :-))

      September 20, 2013

  • Andrew D.

    Hello. I'm doing a little walking in the area on Saturday so shall see you at the start of the walk on Sunday. Cheers.

    September 19, 2013

  • Brian W.

    I can/will drive if necessary :-) just thinking about my carbon footprint :-))

    1 · September 18, 2013

  • Brian W.

    Would very much appreciate a lift,can meet anywhere please contact me on;[masked] :-)

    September 18, 2013

10 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more

I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.

Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy