November 11, 2012 · 8:30 AM
Shortish but interesting walk up the steep rocky ridge of this fine rugged Arrochar Alp. Slightly scrambly and exposed in places, great views , and an amazing sense of height for the moderate effort involved !
Grade: Hard (please see explanation)
- Distance: 5.5 km
- Ascent: 720m
- Time: 4 hours
- Meetup Location: Botanics or car park just before Easan Dubh waterfall on A83 2km north of Rest and Be Thankful summit GR NN234088
- Route: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-an-lochain.shtml
- Map: As above or OS Explorer 364
- Suitability: This nice ridge gives a strenuous , steepish, but excellent walk. You should have previous hillwalking experience, and know you are fit enough to complete the whole ridge without problem. After a brief boggy start we are soon onto the ridge proper which climbs in a series of rocky mildly scrambly steps. There are some steep sections of path and also some slightly exposed sections where a slip would be dangerous. For these reasons in the current wintry conditions CRAMPONS and ICE AXES WILL BE ESSENTIAL unless I state otherwise.
- We will walk AS A GROUP at a MODERATE pace.If you don't want to this then this walk is not for you. Please ensure you come equipped properly to cope with the unpredictable Scottish mountain weather - warm , waterproof clothing, extra layers,gloves,hat,headtorch.
- Please read our Participation Statement .
This walk has been graded as a hard walk. You are responsible for deciding if this walk is suitable for you, coming adequately prepared and looking after yourself on the walk. If we think the walk is is not suitable for you or you do not seem to have the right equipment, we reserve the right to refuse to let you join, for your's and the group's safety and comfort. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch.
Clothing & Equipment. You must ensure that you come adequately prepared for this walk. A full gear list can be found here. Please don't forget to bring a map with a note of the route description and a compass.
Weather Forecast. Please make sure you check the weather forecast before you come:
If the weather looks really bad, I may decide to cancel - you'll be sent an email two days before the meetup to let you know if this is the case.
Lifts / Meetup Time. We'll meet at Botanics or the (see map above) carpark GR NN 234088 at 09.30. Please indicate on your RSVP if you can either offer a lift or would like one, or state if you're meeting at the start of the walk.
• Yes: You intend to come and will turn up.
• No longer able to come: Please change to No so the group does not wait for you at the start and others can attend.