Bay Area Scuba Lovers Message Board Gear and Equipment Forum › dive computers

dive computers

Drew
user 12254567
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 7
I have completed +20 dives and have decided to invest in my own equipment. I want to get a dive computer and am not sure what exactly i should get. I want one that can handle nitrox. It also needs to be either a console or are integrated computer so i dont need to buy gauges as well. I'm shooting for a something less than $600 but will pay more if its worth it.

I also have another question; is it worth it to buy form a dive shop or should i just buy online?

all advise is greatly appreciated
Blake A.
BlakeD27
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 12
My husband and I both have Aeris Atmos AI computers and love them. They are air integrated and do Nitrox.

I did not want a wireless computer because I feel like I might leave the wrist display laying around when I take my suit on & off and could lose it. The Atmos AI stays on my 1st stage from when I set up my gear until when I disassemble it. I have the quick disconnect so if I ever feel it's not safe to leave it on, I can take it off. For example, on liveaboards, I usually put the computer on my gear in the morning and take it off at night to record my dives in my log book. Then I keep it in my bunk with me until the next morning when I put it on before my first dive.

We had some trouble downloading all of the info off the computers at first, but now that we have the right cable and software, we download all the info off after every big trip. I thought we'd be a lot more interested in all the charting than we actually are. To be honest, after the first time we downloaded it, I never looked at it again.

We got ours at Dolphin in Sacramento in 2010 and paid $604, including the compass and quick disconnect. If you like a wrist compass you can skip the compass, but I would not skip the quick disconnect. They price-matched an online store named Crazy Scuba.

Herb
herbleong
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 13
I recommend getting a set of "real" gauges for psi and depth as well as a compass even if your air integrated computer does all of those functions for redundancy reasons in case your 'puter fails. This way, you can keep diving on tables vs. being stuck on the surface...
Aaron
user 10177636
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 4
I also suggest SPG, compass & computer in separate unit instead of getting one computer that does it all. I also suggest wrist mount over console. AI is a plus if you budget allows, but not entirely necessary.