addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
jeff c.
user 27352362
Fremont, CA
Post #: 4
I looking to upgrade my 80 aluminum tanks and get some 100 + steel tanks...let me know if you know of some good deals, thanks, Jeff
Herb
herbleong
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 15
If you are thinking about used, make sure you research the tank and check that the tank has a valid hydro & vis or get a agreement with the seller that the tank will pass a hydro & vis or your money back.
Rick W.
BigRickW
San Jose, CA
Post #: 10
My friend and I each bought a set of tanks off of Craigslist and are happy with them. I also bought a used set at a dive shop.

Hydro runs about $50 per tank (got mine back last yesterday) and Vis under $20. Remember that Vis needs to be done every year.

I'm happy to have my own tanks, but if you dive near the Breakwater it's only like $3 more per tank to rent than to fill you own.

Have fun!
Blake A.
BlakeD27
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 19
A friend was recently telling me that a couple times a year Diver Dan's has a deal on tanks- buy a certain number of fills (they give you a card) and you get a used tank for free... worth looking into. If we were going to buy tanks, that's a deal we'd be after!
Aaron
user 10177636
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 6
Yes, diver dan does this every year. You need to buy the quilvalent value in fill cards of a tank (which is a lot of fills) then they give you a tank. Which I think it is a very good deal. But there is a few small inconvinent catches:

1) Diver Dan usually can't fill your tank at the spot. Especially for nitrox. So tank filling is a two trip business. You drop off one day, pick up a day or two later. It is not bad. Most of the time, you need to do it at Aquatic Discovery too. But at Anywater Sport, I have always been able to stop by, hang out a bit, and have tank filled the same day.

2) If want to fill nitrox, your tanks need to be O2 clean. So dont think you can take any of your old tanks there and fill nitrox. Having nitrox clean by them will be $125 per tank. Other shops like AWS, Aquatic Discovery don't requie O2 clean tank for recreational nitrox.

It is no big deal, just a bit inconvinient.

Once you have O2 cleaned tank, you need to be careful when you do fill elsewhere. The place needs to have O2 compatible air (they call it "hyper filtered grade E" air) else it voids your O2 clean status.

Neaby shops can do this are DiverDan themselves and Anywater Sport. Aquatic Discovery, as far as I know does NOT have O2 compatible air, but I can't be wrong.

Monterey shops: 7-seas, Bamboo Reef, Aquarius II by breakwater (inside fill system, their outside fill station is NOT, so you need to specify).

Again, no big deal, just ask one more question when you do tank fill.

Rick W.
BigRickW
San Jose, CA
Post #: 13
For NITROX you can have your tanks certified at the visual inspection and they are okay for NITROX fills if you are getting ready-mixed NITROX. "O2 Clean" is for if you have the gas mixed as your tank is filled so you are getting pure O2 coming in.

The guys at Any Water can walk you through it.