Bay Area Scuba Lovers Message Board Gear and Equipment Forum › Ladies - Wet or Dry Suit for Diving Monterey?

Ladies - Wet or Dry Suit for Diving Monterey?

Cindy F.
misscindy
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi there,

I've been certified for a few years now, but have only dove in tropical places. I'd like to continue diving more than just once a year, and not let the cold get in the way of diving locally. So I'm curious what other women are diving with, whether you're diving with like a 7mm or 8mm wet suit or dry suit?

I'm not sure if I want to drop $1000+ on a dry suit. I also hear if you're petite you may have to order them custom, which is even more expensive.

Thanks for any advice or tips you can share!

-Cindy smile
Blake A.
bLaKeY
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 18
I dive dry, but only a few times a year, so I rent. At Aquatic Discovery, its $35/day for a dry suit. If you find yourself diving often, then you can start thinking about buying one. For me, the upfront price and maintenence isn't worth it... yet ;)
Cindy F.
misscindy
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks! That really helps! :)
Marc M.
JakCrow
Livermore, CA
Post #: 20
If water temps are 50 or above, a wetsuit has been fine for myself. 49 or below, I start getting kinda cold. It's been 46-48 a lot recently. I just ordered my drysuit.
Cindy F.
misscindy
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
I guess I'll be finding out this Sunday when I do my first cold water dive! Hope I survive the cold confused

If water temps are 50 or above, a wetsuit has been fine for myself. 49 or below, I start getting kinda cold. It's been 46-48 a lot recently. I just ordered my drysuit.

Marc M.
JakCrow
Livermore, CA
Post #: 21
If you're considering a drysuit, but don't want to spent a lot of money, look around for someone selling a used suit. I know several people that have scored decent used drysuits for on a few hundred bucks. In fact, I have a friend that just got a new drysuit recently. She may still have her old one. What's your size and general measurements? I can check with her.
Aaron
user 10177636
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 5
If you plan to dive more locally, definitly consider a dry suit. On a warmer day, a wetsuit maybe ok for the first dive. On 2nd dive and onward, your body core temperature can't recover from early dive. You will feel cold much sooner. It can get quite miserable, takes the fun out of diving. If you do boat dive,nthe cold will get worse due to wind chill.

As for cost, dry suites are more expansive, but not as bad as it seems. Look for used dry suit on Craigslist or eBay. A decent condition dry suit for $600 to $800 pop up quite often. Also check out Internet dive shop like Dive Right In Scuba, they carries USIA drysuit for $7xx, which is a very decent beginner suit.
Cindy F.
misscindy
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
Cool, thanks that would be great if you could ask your friend if she's selling her old dry suit. I'm 5'1" and 103 lbs.

If you're considering a drysuit, but don't want to spent a lot of money, look around for someone selling a used suit. I know several people that have scored decent used drysuits for on a few hundred bucks. In fact, I have a friend that just got a new drysuit recently. She may still have her old one. What's your size and general measurements? I can check with her.

Danielle
user 8148017
Los Gatos, CA
Post #: 2
If you are small, and you are, drysuit. I'm not a well-insulated woman, so I get cold easily, hey, I wear a 5mm wetsuit even in the tropics. I spent a fortune on my drysuit, got a custom made one and it's really nice. I need to use it more, though. I don't know that you will be able to find a rental suit for a 5'1" woman. Maybe looking for a used one is your best bet.
Marc M.
JakCrow
Livermore, CA
Post #: 22
Cool, thanks that would be great if you could ask your friend if she's selling her old dry suit. I'm 5'1" and 103 lbs.

Email me your contact info and I will pass it on to my friend. She is selling her drysuit.