Santa Clara Valley Knitting Meetup Message Board › The Museum of Art wants Knitters!

The Museum of Art wants Knitters!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone,

Just to re-introduce myself, I'm Heidi, I'm an intern with the Museum of Art and History in downtown Santa Cruz and I am helping the Museum put on 3rd Friday events every Month and I thought you would all be interested in being a part of our upcoming event!

Radical Craft Night, November 18th, 5pm-9pm

3rd Friday Summary:

The Museum of Art and History is offering a new monthly evening event featuring rotating programming with music, art, drinks and workshops.

3rd Friday offers an alternative evening outing to ignite your creativity, connect with your community, experience and experiment with contemporary art and meet new people with common interests at MAH.

Radical Craft Night Summary:

November’s 3rd Friday is Radical Craft night and will include a variety of performances, demonstrations, collaborations and workshops derived from the crafting theme. A musical and performance ensemble will perform, parade and lead craft workshops. A collaborative quilting station will create miniature quilts. Embroidery rotaries and belts will challenge traditional notions of embroidery through collaborative performances. Knitters and Crocheters will demonstrate and teach participants how to knit as they yarn bomb the MAH’s stairwell. A Re-make workshop will transform scrap metal, wood and junk into sculptural art forms. Come participate in these ongoing workshops, watch craft demonstrations or bring your own craft to demonstrate!

We need embroiderers for:

Embroidery Belt:

An Embroidery Belt will be constructed and worn by individual crafters throughout the night. This will be a large portable and wearable embroidery hoop hanging like a serving tray from the individual’s shoulders. Individuals wear the belt moving around the museum teaching visitors how to embroider.

We need knitters and crocheters for:

Yarn bombing the stairwell:

Knitters and crocheters will be positioned all along the 3-story stairwell in the museum demonstrating different knitting and crocheting techniques. Demonstrators will teach visitors different levels of techniques as they ascend the stairs and participants can add on to their pieces. They will knit directly onto the railing of the stairwell as a collaborative and performative installation piece.

*We are also accepting donations of crochet and knitting needles, yarn and the like, so if you would like to help out in that way it would be greatly appreciated!

If you would like to come be a part of this event, please message me and let me know how you would like to contribute! If you would like to invite friends or family, the admission is only $5 for the entire evening of crafts!

For more details please visit http://www.santacruzm...­