addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Santa Clara Valley Knitting Meetup Message Board › MV Peet's Appreciation — The Grab-bag Project — Feb. 11, 2013

MV Peet's Appreciation — The Grab-bag Project — Feb. 11, 2013

Mira
user 11356797
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 11
The Valentine's Day Cro-Knit

Since everyone seems to like Kathleen's idea of knitting for the super awesome MV Peet's staff, I'm setting up this discussion board, since Shhhhhhhhh ..... we don't want to give away the surprise!

I suppose we can just refer to it as the Grab-bag Project, and no one will know. ;)

Who's in?

Sally, Wendy, Kathleen, Lindy, Donna, Rae, and I are in for knitting/crocheting gifts for the staff. All SCV knitters are welcome to join in, but no pressure! This is for fun, and you all make our lives fun already.

What to make

The gift you make can be whatever you want — hat, scarf, slippers, mittens, monsters.

We can use this discussion topic to share quick-knitting/crocheting patterns, and figure out how many objects we need to make. If you need help finding a pattern, ask around, or just join ravelry! (ravelry.com — you've got to register, but it's all free and all fabulous).

Date

By popular demand, we'll do our gifting in time for Valentine's Day, so actually Monday 2/11/13. Wow. 2013.

Help me get a headcount on the staff?

* The short, muscly dude with the ponytail who dislocated his shoulder that time, and who offers us remainder coffee at closing time.
* The sandy-brown-straighthaired dude who gave us the 10 minute warning this week.
* The short white woman with brown ponytail.
* The stringbeany dude with the longer ponytail (who was there this week).
* The pretty black woman with the shortish 'fro.

That's 5, but who am I forgetting? I feel like there are more regulars who we see on Monday but I can't think who they are.
Suzanna
user 2617121
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 14
Count me in! Can we compare notes on what colours we think would best fit out intended recipients?
I probably have suitable yarn in my stash.........urge to buy more yarn approaching. :D
Buffy J.
BuffyJoseph
Cupertino, CA
Post #: 9
This sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure I'm going to be able to join in, but I will definitely pay attention to what is going on. And who knows, maybe I'll manage to make a monster!

--Buffy
Naomi W.
user 32122062
Campbell, CA
Post #: 1
Count me in!
Suzanna
user 2617121
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 15
Hmmm.....are we allowed to yarn bomb living people or only inanimate muncipal fixtures?

ETA: for those readers not familiar with the term "yarn bombing", it's a painless creative process. No harm will come to either the person or the fixture.
Grace A.
user 18274761
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
Thanks to Anne for informing me about this! For some reason, I didn't see it...I had the impression that this was meant for Christmas. :-)

But please do count me in! I think it's a fabulous idea!
Mira
user 11356797
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 12
Update: For those who hadn't noticed, Liz has already scorched the field. She finished a market bag for the grab-bag (get it?) a couple weeks ago. And in response to Grace: well xmas was the *original* idea, but I guess knitters & crocheters are procrastinators too. We decided a later due date would be better.
Suzanna
user 2617121
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 16
Update: For those who hadn't noticed, Liz has already scorched the field. She finished a market bag for the grab-bag (get it?) a couple weeks ago. And in response to Grace: well xmas was the *original* idea, but I guess knitters & crocheters are procrastinators too. We decided a later due date would be better.

I have a scarf in process for the pony-tailed guy who gave us the Thank you card and free drink passes.
Should we check in on grab-bag projects to ensure that we have everyone covered?
Mira
user 11356797
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 13
Whoops! Bad communication by Mira. I guess I was thinking of a grab-bag as a thing where we all make stuff and the staff members get to pick which pieces they want.

I don't feel like I know any of the staff well enough to be sure of what they'd like ... come to think I've never even seen them out of their Peet's uniforms!

What is everyone else thinking?

--m
Buffy J.
BuffyJoseph
Cupertino, CA
Post #: 10
Mira, that's what I was thinking too. I have no idea what I'd made for a particular person.