Santa Clara Valley Knitting Meetup Message Board › Want to learn. Where to start?

Want to learn. Where to start?

Michelle
user 16966631
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
Hi! I'm interested in learning to knit.

What's a good way to get started? Should I try to find a class or can I get some supplies/book and come to a meetup and get advice?

I've been to Green Planet in Campbell to buy supplies for an elderly woman who knits, and they have classes, but I can't do their times.
A former member
Post #: 2
Yes, join the meetups as there are so many knitters of all levels! Also, look on YouTube!
Krista
Knelson3333
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 3
It's helpful if you let the organizer of whichever meetup you're attending know ahead of time so they can try to find you a buddy to help get you started.
Laurie D.
user 43680842
Campbell, CA
Post #: 1
I was new to knitting last spring when I was told about this group. I had taken a class and had a couple of books but was still in very much a beginner. Everyone I talked to at the meetups was friendly, happy to give advice or demonstrate a technique. Definitely take Krista's advice and let the organizer know your new and would like some help. Working with a buddy will be a big help.
Michelle
user 16966631
San Jose, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks all! I plan to come to Thursday's daytime meetup and did email Emma first. I'll either just hang out and get advice, or might pick up some inexpensive supplies to play around. And it's totally cool if everyone has projects and not time to buddy up on short notice. I'm looking forward to meeting folks and seeing the projects.