The San Diego Scooter Squadron Message Board Advice - Sought & Provided › RV Motor Cycle Lift

RV Motor Cycle Lift

Anna W.
frazzlemydazzle
San Diego, CA
Post #: 182
............seeking info on RV motorcycle lifts.
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 814
............seeking info on RV motorcycle lifts.
Do you mean devices that mount on the back of an RV? You ride your bike on and they lift them up hydraulically, like a lift-gate? If so, they're VERY expensive. There are MC carriers that mount on receivers, with a side ramp to ride up; those are far cheaper but most are limited to less than 500 pounds. Or some that frame-mount like wide trailer hitches, also with a side ramp, able to carry even cruiser motorcycles. Or some that carry the front wheel, letting you tow the bike like a one-wheel trailer with the rear wheel on the road (but some machines don't like to be towed that way.) A quick Web search should locate all of those for you.
Anna W.
frazzlemydazzle
San Diego, CA
Post #: 183
............seek­ing info on RV motorcycle lifts.
Do you mean devices that mount on the back of an RV? You ride your bike on and they lift them up hydraulically, like a lift-gate? If so, they're VERY expensive. There are MC carriers that mount on receivers, with a side ramp to ride up; those are far cheaper but most are limited to less than 500 pounds. Or some that frame-mount like wide trailer hitches, also with a side ramp, able to carry even cruiser motorcycles. Or some that carry the front wheel, letting you tow the bike like a one-wheel trailer with the rear wheel on the road (but some machines don't like to be towed that way.) A quick Web search should locate all of those for you.

............you're right Dave. I should have been more specific.

I did do some research online. Found Cruiser Lift, Versa Lift, Overbilt & Hydralift. Yes, they are expensive. What I'm hoping is that someone might have experience with motorcycle lifts for RV's. In this day and age of "buyer beware" I feel it would be better to talk with someone who has had the experience. Three of the four basically cost the same. One is about half price, claims to be "custom made to order" and is non-returnable.
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 816
For the money, if you're not already pulling a travel or other trailer, a simple flatbed trailer can be the most cost-effective answer to bringing your scooter with you (a dinghy for your wheeled cruising yacht.) Harbor Freight sells a 4x8 trailer (that folds for storage) for under $300 when it's on sale, which is often. Add a sheet of plywood for a deck, and optionally two more sheets and some 2x4's to make 2'-high sides, and you can carry 1 to 3 scooters. We hang a loading ramp on the side. (Our trailer carried a couple of scooters to LA last year.) There's also room to put other stuff, like spare gas, bulky bedding or clothing, spare food, etc. to keep your RV less crowded.
Anna W.
frazzlemydazzle
San Diego, CA
Post #: 184

For the money, if you're not already pulling a travel or other trailer, a simple flatbed trailer can be the most cost-effective answer to bringing your scooter with you (a dinghy for your wheeled cruising yacht.) Harbor Freight sells a 4x8 trailer (that folds for storage) for under $300 when it's on sale, which is often. Add a sheet of plywood for a deck, and optionally two more sheets and some 2x4's to make 2'-high sides, and you can carry 1 to 3 scooters. We hang a loading ramp on the side. (Our trailer carried a couple of scooters to LA last year.) There's also room to put other stuff, like spare gas, bulky bedding or clothing, spare food, etc. to keep your RV less crowded.

I appreciate your suggestions to save me money, but am still hoping that someone in the group has had experience with or knows someone who's had direct experience with the type of lift I'm looking for.

I've recently purchased my "bug-out-bag" that's a 35' Class A RV and don't really want to be towing something that will add to my the length.

...............I'm a big A-- RV with an iddy biddy scootershock.

Perry
TripodosaurusRex
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,232
Look at this thread Anna. Many opinions there.
http://modernvespa.co...­

Adding a trailer makes it harder to back up and limits your highway speed limit to 55mph instead of 65 or 70.
Anna W.
frazzlemydazzle
San Diego, CA
Post #: 185

Adding a trailer makes it harder to back up and limits your highway speed limit to 55mph instead of 65 or 70.

........got rid of my travel trailer & truck for same reason.......getting too old and lazy to back up trailer by myself. Motor Home made more sense.

Thanx for the link. Hadn't thought about a non-powered lift cause I wasn't sure I would be able to load it by myself.
Dave E
FiveWheelsRock
San Diego, CA
Post #: 820
If you use a carrier mounted in a 2"-square receiver, also use a clamp to keep the receiver insert from wobbling. I made one to keep a Hitch-Haul rack solid, using some heavy pieces of steel and four steel bolts, and the design is free to anyone who asks. Works perfectly and takes 5-10 minutes to install.
Anna W.
frazzlemydazzle
San Diego, CA
Post #: 186
Thanx for the offer Dave.smile The two I'm looking at already come with a clamp to prevent wobble.
Rachael S.
rsmithey
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 7
Anna, what hauler did you end up with? I'm considering full-time RV'ing in my Class B and getting a small scooter to replace my Big Ruckus. I've previously used a dual Joe Hauler to carry two motorcycles on my Class B, and it was a pain to load/unload. Easy to haul, though :-)