addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SD Community Farms and Gardens Meetup Group Message Board › Community Garden in R. Penasquitos

Community Garden in R. Penasquitos

A former member
Post #: 444
Specifically in the community of Rancho Penasquitos on the Ranch House grounds at the Los Penasquitos Preserve. If any of you are interested in seeing a community garden there, then please contact me directly, or reply on this thread.

I'm trying to spur the County Board of Supervisors to start the project this year or as soon as possible.

A garden has been under discussion for some time, according to the supervising ranger at the preserve. He suggested I start collecting names of County residents interested in seeing one there. 'See a need and fill it.'

The ranger has mentioned modeling the proposed garden to that of the one at the Tijuana River Valley Preserve in the South Bay area. From what the ranger described to me as his vision, the community garden at Los Penasquitos Preserve will be beautiful, and subsequently be self-sustaining (at least, that's what I'd love to see happen).

Thank you for your time and attention,

Sheila
A former member
Post #: 554
The Informational Meeting for the new Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve's community garden went well. The attendees are already dreaming about the fantastical things they'll be growing--including myself.

Below are bullet points of what was discussed. Please direct your inquiries to rangers Paul Kucharczyk or Beth Dirksen at the preserve's office: 858.484.7504, or to be added to a waiting list.

- Garden's layout
- Completion dates
- Parking
- Community and gardeners gatherings
- Safety
- Garden box design
- County regulations
- Pest control
- Use of organic/natural materials
- Water and irrigation, alternatives
- Leases and cost; contractual relationship with the preserve/county
- Attendee feedback