Join or login to comment.
Thanks so much guys! Very insightful for beginners like me :)
0 · April 10, 2013
- http://asmjs.org/ - http://ejohn.org/blog/asmjs-jav... - http://mrale.ph/blog/2013/03/28... - target controlled JS like Emscripten - speed looks around 5x
- http://code.shutterstock.com/ri... - on top of http://d3js.org/ - Thomas Y is using for current project
We jumped topic and are looking at www.socrata.com. The company helps build http://data.gov
We are doing round table on what does we do at work. Some funny / semi-sensitive information here. You would need to come to hear about it. :-)
Other events coming up in the next month:
- https://twitter.com/paul_irish- http://railscasts.com/ has excellent JS presentations as well
- SASS/SCSS - Less
- look at the ease of migrating from existing large systems - move toward OO style with greenfield - simplify the work
Cont'd: Jason and Thomas W debates on CoffeeScript.
Jason: Like CoffeeScript. It is great for a Rails shop.
(I will let Jason to add the details back)
1 · April 10, 2013
We talked about build system a bit.
Thomas W. and Connie bought up the topic of Build system.
Thomas Y. likes grunt.js after Jason introduced to him a few months ago.
Ant is too heavy weight for a build. A script language is way better. Sometimes, you already have a third party tools you need. With Ant you would need to write .java, compiled it into .class, jar it, and include the jar in ant env.
Grunt as a script languages makes it really easy. It probably isn't that much better than other script language. But, it is where the innovation is happening. So, the new things you need is likely to be there.
Training options for new developers :
- http://rmurphey.com/blog/2012/04/12/a-baseline-for-front-end-developers/- http://www.pluralsight.com/training- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/- http://addyosmani.com/blog/- http://learn.shayhowe.com/
One would want to cover some topics that might not be covered in CS programs
- Tooling- build systems - linting - version control
Jason and Thomas W is debating whether CoffeeScript worth it.
What are the differences between AngularJS and EmberJS for Greenfielddevelopment?
- the Angular ng-* approach doesn't seem like a significant drift once one accepts type="text/template"- data binding functionality is similar between - community selection (e.g., Rails focus) was a factor in the selection
I should be back next month!
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.
Next: Invite friends
A monthly workshop for coders to learn from each other and ask questions as needed. Coders bring his own project, book, or tutorial. A hacknight for coders to work on open source projects together, learn and solve some real world problems.
2,050 civic nerds
979 Contributing Members
Meetup members, Log in