Seattle PHP User Group Message Board › Getting started with CakePHP

Getting started with CakePHP

Mike P.
5Circles
Seattle, WA
Post #: 19
I've been lurking on the list for a while, gearing up to do a prototype / concept test before bringing in the professionals.

I'm trying to get started with CakePHP, but with little or no success. I've explored support forums, but the apparently basic problem I'm having seems shared by many newbies without obvious resolution. So I hope someone will take pity and show me the way forward to get the first couple of tutorials working. Some confusion seems to be coming from V1 vs. V2.

I'm seeing the same errors on a local Ubuntu installation (installed manually) and on my Linksky server (installed by Softaculous). The Cake installs are in a subdirectory, and I've tried editing the .htaccess files to account for that - per one thread describing issues if Cake isn't in its own domain, but I think that may have been fixed with V2 (in any case the edits to add RewriteBase made no difference). mod_rewrite is loaded.

The basic Cake install generates a good response when accessing http://server/cake/...­, with messages telling me that the configuration is set up correctly.

The first blog tutorial (I'm using the V2 versions) doesn't really generate any results - or am I missing something? But I added the table to the database with the content, checked the config, etc.

The "Blog Tutorial - adding a layer" is where I'm stuck. I've gone through everything multiple times, including deleting the files I made and adding them again. But I always get to the same errors:

Error: PostController could not be found
Error: Create the class PostController below in file: app/Controller/PostsController.php

This looks to me like a problem with redirection/rewriting, despite what I wrote above. I can't see anything with Firefox tools other than an error 404. So my next step is to set up mod_rewrite logging on the local server. But I'm guessing there is something obvious that I messed up.

Thanks
Mike

Mike P.
5Circles
Seattle, WA
Post #: 20
Figured it out - or at least made some progress - hopefully the the point where I can start learning from the books and deeper online examples.

The Cakewalk tutorials omit to mention that the php files need to start with <?php, and the snippets don't include the beginning. I assumed that this was correct - part of the Cakewalk process. And also discovered that the php files that start with <?php don't finish with ?>.

Mike
Mark S.
msteudel
Seattle, WA
Post #: 41
Hey mike, most people don't check the forums. I would recommend to post questions like this it the mailing list. Glad you figured it out.