Seattle Cinema Club Message Board › Seattle Cinema Club (meetup group) - change of Organizer

Seattle Cinema Club (meetup group) - change of Organizer

George L.
user 2853731
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
April 26, 2010

Dear Seattle Cinema Club member:

Thank you for your support of this meetup group of film enthusiasts that has nearly 1,300 members. Dawn, the founder and long time organizer of this club, has decided to step down so I am stepping up to the plate and will serve as the organizer. We all appreciate the energy that Dawn put into this club, and we wish her the best.

Assistant organizers, whether they are currently active or are on hiatus, and prospective new assistant organizers, are encouraged to share their vision of cinema with other members of the club. Film meetups have been enjoyable cultural and social events in the past and will continue to be so in the future. Get out and see some films with members of this meetup group.

There are two changes that I am making to “look and feel” of this cinema club.

First, I am encouraging current and future assistant leaders to include more mainstream “Hollywood” films as part of this group’s programming. Many of the films offered in the past have been indies or low budget or foreign language or classic revivals or ones shown at little known venues such as the Northwest Film Forum and the Finnish film festival. At the same time many quality Hollywood films have been passed by - films such as “Avatar”, “Fantastic Mr. Fox”, “Precious”, “The Blind Side”, and “Star Trek”. Assistant organizers are encouraged to plan meetups around quality mainstream films. [Please, no trash like the “Saw” series]. Don’t worry about a complete shift in types of films that are offered – there are current (and hopefully some new) organizers who enjoy the indies, foreign language… films and will continue to present them to this group.

Second, I am allowing persons who have a passion for a particular film to post it as an “idea” with sufficient information (description, theater, date, time, how to find the mastermind) that it becomes a de facto meetup. Anyone who does this more than once a year will be asked to become an Assistant Organizer.

There are no downsides to becoming an Assistant Organizer. It does not cost money. You can use the meetup reservation system to see who is coming to your event. You can send mass or targeted (e.g., persons who have reserved a spot) emails. Please consider becoming an assistant organizer.

Thank you for reading this letter.

George Liu
email: kayaker@war-is-hell.com