addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Active Dogs Meetup Group Message Board › Training for Furry 5K?

Training for Furry 5K?

Jessica Rhae W.
JessicaRhae
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 18
Is anyone interested in training with me for the Furry 5k in June? I was previously a runner but, due to an injury, have not been running regularly for the last 5 years. I have a training plan that basically takes you from the couch to being able to run the race.

The group plan would be to run a few times a week on your own but meet up once or twice a week at Greenlake, or the somewhere nearby, to run together (with our dogs). Let me know if you are interested and would like more details.

Jessica
nick
user 13486001
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 1
I would be interested in running with my dog. We have tried running in the past but I have never been a good runner. I stop and he still wants to run
Laurel
user 12293297
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
I would also be interested. Haven't really run much in forever, but keep thinking I should. Jesse doesn't like running with my husband, but I think she would do great at my slow pace.

I saw the training thing, but decided against signing up for it. Didn't think about the Furry 5k.
Jessica Rhae W.
JessicaRhae
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 20
Great. I am working on putting a plan together for myself. I want to build a good fitness base then ramp up training for a little more speed as the event gets closer. When I figure it out I will let you know.
Gina - Seattle R.
user 3234316
Marysville, WA
Post #: 403
i just walk with my 2 dogs. I hope it's not pouring rain this year!
Jessica Rhae W.
JessicaRhae
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 21
Ok Everyone, I have a plan for training to RUN the Furry 5k. It is a modified Couch to 5k program and is 12-weeks long, leading up to race day. This plan begins assuming that you can walk 3 miles two or three times per week. The first part of the training starts out using various walk/run combinations (ie. walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute). There will be two walks, or runs as the training progresses, during the week (usually Tuesday and Thursday evening) and one harder workout on Saturday. The harder workout will get progressively harder and longer, alternating between 3 to 5 mile runs and 3-mile runs with sprints worked in. All of the training will take place at or around Greenlake.

The harder part for me is trying to figure out how to coordinate this training with the group. Generally, the weekday trainings will take place at 6 pm and the weekend trainings will be Saturday during the late morning. However, there will be some variations due to my schedule and other training plans. SO the best way I have figured out for this is for you to send me your email if you are interested. I will add you to my training email list and once a week I will email the training schedule for the following week or two. You can email me back to let me know you will coming so I will know to be on the lookout for you. I will occasionally post some of the individual training days on Meetup but the main way to meet up with me will be to email me directly. You can send your email to me via my profile (direct link: http://www.meetup.com...­) (use the "send email" feature under my profile picture).

Thanks and please email me with any questions.
Jessica Rhae W.
JessicaRhae
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 29
Sorry everyone who was interested in running but I have had some unexpected health issues come up that will prevent me from running this. I still plan on walking or run/walking this but will not be training for it.