Join us for a hike through a variety of Seattle parks, trails, beaches and neighborhoods. Highlights will include Golden Gardens, Sunset Hill Park, the Ballard Locks (twice, over and back), Commodore Park, a four-mile loop hike around Discovery Park including a beach walk, downtown Ballard, and Shilshole Bay. In downtown Ballard, we will stop at the Kickin' Boot Whiskey Kitchen (upscale BBQ) for lunch.
Hiking condition required for this hike: To sign up for this hike, you should be doing hikes that are at least 8 miles and 1000 feet vertical gain, or doing equivalent aerobic activity such as long-distance cycling or running.
- Distance: 13+ miles RT
- Elevation gain: 1300 feet
- High point: 400 feet +-
- Difficulty: Moderately strenuous (this is a long hike with hill climbs and several hundred vertical feet of stairs).
- Hiking time: ~ 8 hours
- Hiking speed: Moderately fast pace, 30 minutes a mile, with stops at various viewpoints.
- 8:30 AM - Meet at the parking lot in the center of Golden Gardens Park.
- 8:45 AM - Start hiking.
- ~ 10:15 AM - Cross over the Ballard Locks.
- ~ 1:15 PM - Cross back over the Ballard Locks.
- ~ 1:45 PM - Lunch and beverage in Ballard.
- ~ 4:00 PM - Back to Golden Gardens Park.
- Please allow for and expect that we may get back later than scheduled. The hiking time will vary depending upon the group, the conditions, and our activities along the way.
Dogs: Hikers only on this hike; no dogs, please.
Families welcome: Your kids (youth, teen, or adult) who are capable of doing the hike are welcome on this hike.
No parking passes required. Ample free parking is available
What to bring: Sturdy hiking boots, light or medium-weight non-cotton clothing for the uphills, warm mittens or gloves, light or medium-weight hat, also a warm hat, rain jacket, rain pants, warm, dry clothes, preferably fleece, for the beach hikes and downhills, 1+ liters of water, trail snacks and/or light lunch, day-pack large enough to hold all the above. Optional and recommended: waterproof pack-cover, hiking poles, camera.