Seattle OpenSource Linux Message Board › Senior Linux DevOps Engineer Systems Administrator SEATTLE
Champion the buildout of a major cloud offering open source infrastructure. Automate everything, build your own tools and move onto the next task. Everything this group does is built internally and the minds of this group are truely innovatively creating a playground for opensource.
This company is global, with multiple datacenters being built nationally and internationally with the headquarters in Seattle. This role is onsite and living in the Seattle area is required. Primary environment is MySQL / Linux, pockets of Mongo, Chef, Redis, Riack and other NoSQL technologies along with a strong opentstack presence. Along with Shells, languages such as python, Ruby and java are also a great to haves in this role.
I’m looking for the guru level Penguin that came come in and work with like minds, push the envelope in the Big Data community and join a group that will be pushing the boundaries in this exciting company.
· Specify, design and deliver complex systems and network solutions.
· Design, implement and manage automation, build and configuration infrastructure (e.g; Chef, Jenkins, etc) which replaces manual tasks. Train and mentor others in Operations on their effective usage.
· Design and implement system-level and service-level monitoring solutions, training and mentoring Operations and Development teams on their usage and deployment, configuration and management.
· Maintain and troubleshoot in-house and 3rd party software, working with both internal/external groups to ensure our stack is effectively integrated, configured, managed and supported in production.
· Act as a subject matter expert and liaison between different teams to help understand cross-functional requirements and contribute to discussions and planning as required to make those goals into reality, whilst maintaining the performance and availability expected of a high-profile public cloud offering.
· Deliver project milestones and tasks assigned by manager on schedule, communicating progress regularly.
· Author and update high-quality documentation of all relevant specifications, systems and procedures.
· Remain current on trends and make recommendations to correct deficiencies and deliver improvements.
· Support our 24×7 production environment including carrying an on-call pager on rotation.
· Communicate effectively with management, co-workers and business partners.
· Mentor the junior members within the team, and provide direction and leadership within Technical Operations.
· May require evening and weekend work as needed to support business
· On-call duties, support and expectations are a part of this role
Skills, Education and Experience
· Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years experience in a role with responsibility for installation, maintenance, tuning, security and high availability of Linux server infrastructures.
· Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years experience working as a Systems Engineer with common protocols/software including DNS, NTP, NFS, SMTP, HTTP, syslog, SSH
· Strong familiarity with scripting languages; preference given to Ruby, Python and Shell
· Demonstrable experience with designing, deploying and maintaining monitoring solutions using Open Source tools (e.g; Nagios, Munin, Reconnoiter, Graphite)
· Demonstrable experience with running an Open Source automation system such as Puppet or Chef.
· Strong familiarity with agile software development lifecycle including source control systems (e.g; Git), ticketing systems (e.g; JIRA, Bugzilla) and managed workflows.
· Familiarity with operations best practices, including usual themes (e.g; Backups, Security)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to effectively convey imessages via presentation to both technical and non-technical audiences.
· Excellent troubleshooting skills, able to nail down tricky problems. Used to isolating things down to network faults, hardware faults, knowledge of performance/tuning within Linux kernel
· Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
Full Time Employment $120-$145k+ DOE
Relocation Assistance is available for those who qualify