Seattle OpenSource Linux Message Board › Meetup for linux enthusiasts: IMPORTANT!

Meetup for linux enthusiasts: IMPORTANT!

William C.
William-A-Cole
Port Orchard, WA
Dear Members of the meetup formerly called Seattle LinuxChix,

In an attempt to keep what I thought would be a good thing going, I "stepped up" as an organizer. Needless to say, my well intended, but misguided, actions were in conflict with the rules, bylaws and culture of the Seattle LinuxChix organization. So, in order not to avoid conflict, I have changed the name to "NW OpenSource Linux" and welcome all people who are interested in Linux and open source technology.

So, if you are interested in meeting up to learn or share something about their use of Linux, just email me before 15 January, 2009.. (For instance, I can show you how to have your own Internet web server without a static IP address)

Once I know what the interest level is, I will plan our first "meetup".

Best regards,

William Cole
williamacole@gmail.com
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks for stepping up and taking this on. I think the Meetup is better off being it's own Meetup entity since legally LinuxChix might be in conflict with Meetup's terms and conditions (and vice versa)! I will definitely be at the Meetup in order to encourage a socially open and positive environment for *all* Linux enthusiasts. I'm running Ubuntu on my Eee PC and will be happy to help anyone out or answer any questions. I have a few things I haven't configured yet, so maybe someone can help me out too :)
John
john0001
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
I've always thought it a little weird that there doesn't appear to be much going on in Seattle in terms of FOSS meetups. There's GSLUG-- has anyone attended any of their meetings?

Since I work out by Microsoft, and have to deal with those guys on the bus every day, I'm primarily interested in meeting people who believe in Free Software for the social aspect-- some of us must have at least rudimentary social skills, after all. But I'm also interested in FOSS activism, especially on a local level.

To missaugustina, I run Ubuntu 8.04 on my EEE 901, with all hardware working great. If you're still having trouble with something I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,
John