align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

London Selenium Meetup Group Message Board › Welcome to the London Selenium Users Meetup Group!

Welcome to the London Selenium Users Meetup Group!

Dave H.
dave.hunt
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you for joining the London Selenium Users meetup group!

I'm Dave, and I am currently the lead for a QA team in London. I've been using Selenium for several years, and most of the knowledge I've gained has been from trial-and-error, and more recently the online communities and documentation. I decided to set up this group because I've often thought that it would be really useful to meet other users to discuss challenges and solutions.

When the San Francisco Selenium Users meetup group started I joined, and have seriously considered flying out there for one of their events but haven't been able to justify the cost. I decided to wait and see if a London based group might pop up. It didn't, so I decided to give it a go myself after getting some advice from John Dunham (organiser of the SF group). I'm glad I did - in just 48 hours we have 22 members, and already an offer of sponsorship!

There are currently no events scheduled and this is intentional. I really wanted to see how much interest their would be... If there are 10-20 people coming to an event it's a bit different to 50-100 people coming (the SF group has 263 members at present and 60 attended the last event!)

So now I would like your suggestions. Would you like me to schedule an event for the current members, in a pub or similar where we can gather, or should I hold off until there are enough members to do something on a larger scale? Possibly more important than that, is there anything you'd particularly like to discuss? There are some suggestions below that I've borrowed from the SF group. Feel free to add your own.

- Selenium scripting techniques
- Workarounds for tough problems
- Configuring Selenium
- Hack sessions -- banging out technically interesting scripts, using Selenium in interesting ways, and/or modifying Selenium source code itself
- Scaling Selenium to handle large numbers of scripts, users, data, etc.
- What else?

Personally, I'd like to discuss soft vs hard asserts when using Selenium RC (verify vs assert) and the true scalability of Selenium Grid.

I'm also keen to hear if anyone has any suggestions for where we can meet.

Get in touch, and feel free to get involved! I look forward to meeting you soon!

--
Dave Hunt
Nathan B.
nathanbain
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 1
Hi Dave,

Firstly, well done on starting this group - the Testing community needs more opportunities to come together and share learning experiences.

On the subject of "where to meet?" - I would recommend you get in touch with Skillsmatter ( http://skillsmatter.c...­ ), who are trying to encourage an active Testing community, and have great facilities available for meet up's.

Looking forward to the first group meet up...

Nathan
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all,

Dave, thanks for organising this!

I'm based in Cambridge so I don't know my way around potential venues in London terribly well, but I would definitely pop down for a meetup. Nathan's suggestion of talking to Skills Matter is a good one -- they do a fine job for the LRUG (London Ruby User Group) meetups. However, I'd be perfectly happy for the first meetup to be an informal beer in pub event too.

Briefly about my interest in this group - my startup is building Go Test It http://go-test.it/...­ - a hosted infrastructure for running cross-platform Selenium tests in the cloud. We're in private beta, but if any group members are interested, please contact me at martin at eptcomputing dot com for an invitation. I'd be very interested in hearing how people are using Selenium and share experiences. And maybe some sponsorship would be possible too :)

Hope to meet you all soon.
Martin