Lotico New York Semantic Web Message Board › New RSVP rationale

New RSVP rationale

Marco N.
user 2316446
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 10
Some or most of the events organized by this meetup will have a fee. All moneys collected will go into the events budget to (1) discourage no-shows (2) provide food and beverage services at our events and (3) cover costs incurred to organize the events e.g. meetup.com organizer fee.
Marco N.
user 2316446
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 11
In fact, we had a 96% RSVP conversion rate (Josh had work coming up and Joe got stuck at the airport) and a 125% attendance rate for our first session with the new RSVP system at the New York Times.

This new RSVP system works well from my point of view, but I would like to hear your opinion about this new RSVP process as well.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think that making people commit in advance and charging a reasonable fee helps ensure that only serious people attend and that the slots aren't wasted on no-shows. I do wonder if it's worth pursuing larger spaces, given that the meetings seem to be oversubscribed. I would have liked to attend Tom Tague's presentation, but it was filled up as soon as I heard about it. But there's clearly an upper limit after which it degenerates to a mob scene.

I think the "problem" is that the recent talks are so broadly appealing. I would certainly have gone to Evan Sandhaus's talk if I'd been in the country, and it is telling that Tom Tague's filled up so quickly. Those are nice problems to have!