addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Lotico New York Semantic Web Message Board › Recommended books for the neophyte

Recommended books for the neophyte

A former member
Post #: 2
I enjoyed the meet-up on Thursday, so much so I want to dive into the technology ASAP. I was looking for a good introductory book for someone with programming experience, but new to the field. I was thinking of
Semantic Web Programming - John Hebeler (Wiley). Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance. I have a music application in mind.
Regards
Marc
Dave C.
user 10614145
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hey Marc,

The Hebeler book you mentioned is pretty good actually, especially if you are more familiar with Java. (The examples are presented in the context of the Jena Web Framework.)

If you like python, I've been digging through this Oreilly book and pretty happy with it so far.
Programming the Semantic Web Programming the Semantic Web

Finally, if you want to dig deeper into theory, this one is considered the text book of the semantic web. I use it more as a reference as it can get a bit academic at times.
Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist

You mentioned working on music app, there is a great sparql endpoint for grabbing that type of data.
musicbrainz

Best of luck,

Dave Cascino
Knewton.com
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Dave!
I am more familiar with Java and will take your advice about the Hebler book. I will also pick up the Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist. I checked out the musicbrainz site, and it will be a fantastic starting point. I appreciate your help greatly.
Regards
Marc Harbatkin

Hey Marc,

The Hebeler book you mentioned is pretty good actually, especially if you are more familiar with Java. (The examples are presented in the context of the Jena Web Framework.)

If you like python, I've been digging through this Oreilly book and pretty happy with it so far.
Programming the Semantic Web Programming the Semantic Web

Finally, if you want to dig deeper into theory, this one is considered the text book of the semantic web. I use it more as a reference as it can get a bit academic at times.
Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist

You mentioned working on music app, there is a great sparql endpoint for grabbing that type of data.
musicbrainz

Best of luck,

Dave Cascino
Knewton.com