Lotico Washington Semantic Web Message Board › Question for Yaser Bashr

Question for Yaser Bashr

A former member
Post #: 2
Dear Yaser,
> Thank you for your interesting presentation on Jan. 15 to the Washington Semantic Web Meetup.
>
> I have a general question from a "layperson" viewpoint.
>
> One of your slides mentioned gnizr and providing companies with information through social networks. I understand things better with a concrete example.
>
> Let's say I'm a suit at Apple talking with you about solving some kind of problem using gnizr. What kind of problems can you solve for Apple and how is it different from analytics methods?
>
> thanks,
> sharon dempsey
A former member
Post #: 3
Dear Sharon,
I apologize for the late reply. Thanks to Brian for sending me a reminder. I guess I should check the site more often.

Since suits are involved, I guess what you are asking is a kind of the 45 seconds elevator pitch. So let me give it a try.

Social network tools for the enterprise are what dinner tables are to family members - platforms for sharing what is important, getting updates about the latest, answer questions, and share ones experience to help solve someone else's problem. As the family expands and its members become independent, meeting around the dinner table is what keeps their cohesion.

Family members exchange knowledge, talk about and assign tasks (or processes) and use up or produce resources. These are precisely the elements of any organization - connected people who exchange knowledge assign or execute processes and use up or produce resources. Lack of real-time awareness about who does or knows what, where, when and how in large companies like Apple is what impedes efficiency and growth in organizations. IBM reportedly saved six million dollars annually by only introducing centralized social tagging system on their intranet. What made digg and FaceBook successful is that they enabled people to express themselves, socially select what is relevant and express their opinions about content and about each other. Emails, faxes, discussion lists, and occasional conference calls eliminated the connected people ( the social) aspect. Enterprise Social network tools bring back the social element to the center of the organization and therefore have a profound impact on its productivity and efficiency.

I hope this helps

Yaser