The London Sewing and Craft Group Message Board Supplies › Where to buy fabric in London

Where to buy fabric in London

Claire
user 5658007
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hello, I've just joined this group, and I wondered if people knew of good places to shop for fabric? Are there a lot of shops in the Shepherd's Bush area? I see you guys had a meetup some time ago in that area to go looking at shops... any tips would be much appreciated. I am just looking to make clothes for myself, so looking for women's dress fabric in wool, cotton, etc. Many thanks!
Su
user 5665915
London, GB
I'm new too, and I get lots of good bargains in Walthamstow Market. There are about five fabric shops, (four quite close together) two trim shops and three or fabric stalls and several haberdashery stalls on a Saturday and fabric starts from £1 a metre.

The best shop is called "The Fabric Store". Lots of nice furnishing brocades, embroidered and embellished taffetas, a good range of linens and a small range of very good quality silks quite cheap.

Then there is the shop with no name, run by Eastern Europeans, where almost everything is £1-£2 a metre, which has some very nice coating and suiting wools, cottons, a few linens lots of metallic organzas and a certain amount of tat. Husseins is also good, and has some nice cottons, but aimed firmly at the Asian market, and the New Fabric Shop is good for furnishing fabric, but most of the rest of the stuff is nasty poly prints. Cheap though at a quid a metre, and I did find my amazing purple flocked stuff there.

There's a nice trim shop next to the New Fabric Store too.

All these shops are the lower end of the market. At the top end on Saturday outside Sainsburys is my silk man, who has a limited range of silks very cheap and other fabrics too, then about half way up is the stall selling quid a metre stuff, and some nice brocades and taffetas. There are two or three nice haberdashery stalls and the tiny trim shop, a shop about the size of a large cupboard full of pretty laces in all sorts of colours and lovely embroidered and embellished trims, notions etc. Theres also a really nice upholstery fabric stall.

Last weekend I bought some lovely purple satin with flocked glittery moons and stars on it for £1.50 a metre, and the weekend before I got 10 metres of silk Taffeta (also purple) for £4 a metre from the silk man. I'm not allowed to go there any more until I've made something!
Ghene
Ghene
London, GB
Post #: 23
Here's a list here...

LSCM Blog
Claire
user 5658007
London, GB
Post #: 2
Thank you! I've got a friend in Walthamstow so that is a good opportunity to catch up with her and go to the market shopping.... thanks very much.

Claire
Marijke
MarijkeJ
London, GB
Post #: 10
Personally I just looove Shepherds BUsh Market :) Great fabrics and always very helpful. Easy to get to and cheap too!

A former member
Rolls and Rems in Lewisham is one of the best fabric stores I know.
A former member
This blog is gone now it seems

Here's a list here...

LSCM Blog

I like a fabric shop called Fabrics Galore in Lavender Hill (Queenstown Road/Clapham Junction). It's ordinary priced.

Rolls and Rems in Lewisham is indeed great.

And Walthamstow Market I think is also great for fake leather fabrics and lino type table cloth material (funky for bags).

There are a few fabric shops in Brixton around the market as well. But a lot of it is dress fabrics. You can find some very odd stuff though if you have the nerve to explore.
A former member
Post #: 3
if you have easy access into central london there are lots of good fabric shops around berwick street which is just off oxford street. also whilst you're there you can check out john lewis - i found a great piece of plaid wool for only £4 the other week in their bargain bin!

frances xx
Lucas
user 5524452
London, GB
Dalston Mill on Ridley Road market is brilliant for a whole range of fabrics, the staff are very friendly and helpful. There is fabric stacked floor to ceiling, it is fabric heaven! everything from silks to fun fur to pvc - you can order online from them too. Alternatively, Bhopal on Brick Lane has a varied selection of goodies and in particular a big range of velvets - shiny and cotton and you don't have to buy a minimum amount unlike some of the other fabric shops there. Mr Bhopal is quite a character though.....! Green Street at Upton Park tube is great for shops selling Indian fabrics, also, if you exit the station, turn right and cross the road there is a very good shop that sells suiting/shirt fabrics, but i can't remember the name of it.