Sewing with Style Message Board › HELP PLEASE WITH BURDA STYLE 7128

HELP PLEASE WITH BURDA STYLE 7128

Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 33
I've agreed to help a former Dress For Success staff person, Leslie, with a project she has. She's making a dress (Burda Style 7128, see link, she wants to do a variation of View C) for an actress to appear in one scene in a movie, and has asked for my sewing, fitting and creative help! How could I say 'no' to such a fun project? She's got the actress's measurements and already bought the pattern. Leslie doesn't have a lot of sewing experience, but got her Fashion Design degree from UT. I'm wondering about the pattern size. This is not a multi-size pattern. I don't know if we'll need a FBA or not yet. Can you folks who have more experience with Burda Style patterns than I do give me some insights into their idiosyncracies? I think I've heard that they run large. Is this true, and if so, do they run large in some areas and not in others? Should we buy the pattern based on the high bust measurement? And then do a FBA for greater than B cup? (I've never done a FBA but I have my trusty Threads magazines as my resource.) Are there other things I should be aware of with this brand of pattern? Thanks loads y'all. (I love saying y'all)Burda 7128
Tracie
TracieH
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
Hi Karel,

Looking at the Burda measurement sheet and comparing it to the Vogue measurements, it seems that Burda is a bit more generous in the waist and somewhat in the the hips. But my experience with Burda (which I have liked) is that over all it has less ease than american brands. I read a paper recently that concluded that Burda uses less ease in the hips than expected. I would definitely measure the pattern.

Also, I have heard that they draft for a c cup but have no idea if that is just a rumor.

It looks like you could get a multisize copy of the pattern at Hancocks or Joann's if that would help.

Good Luck!