Sewing with Style Message Board › Question fronm member Laurel - Sewing machine recommendations

Question fronm member Laurel - Sewing machine recommendations

Susan M.
user 5794175
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
From Laurel - Hi there, Sewers! I'm in the market for a new sewing machine. My 21-year old Kenmore finally died. I was thinking this may be the last machine I purchase, and wanted a very good one. Bernina has always held particular appeal for me, but not their price. Any suggestions from anyone about a machine for my future? I like garment sewing, mending, quilting, embroidery for capabilities. What would you buy???
Susan M.
user 5794175
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
From Jessie - My first Bernina was a used machine and I used it for years. Now my daughter has it and loves it, too. Being used, the price was much better than a brand new one. You might want to look around for the one you want, then start looking for a used one.
Susan M.
user 5794175
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 10
From Laurel - Thank you, Jessie. That's a good idea. I've thought of that also, and know that Sew Much More has another store on Burnet that sells their used Berninas. I'll check them out. Also have seen Berninas on Craigslist and EBay, but I am a bit skeptical about purchasing online, sight unseen. Thank you again for your input.
cat g.
user 78593272
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
i have an older bernina (1130) and love it!

i also just bought a janome (for the buttonhole attachment. it's the only thing my bernina doesn't do perfectly) on ebay and i can recommend the place i bought it from: ken's sewing machine and vacuum center. the janome was affordable even for my budget, 50 stitches including the one-step buttonholes, nothing too fancy, factory serviced with a janome warranty. i used to have a kenmore workhorse, and this machine reminds me of it.
Laurel
user 14346984
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Thank you, Cat. This is from the Stitch Lab's sewing machine recommendation page: "...The good news is that Janome is made by the same manufacturer as the Kenmores. The bad news is that Sears was selling their Kenmores at a loss and the Janomes are slightly more expensive, but in line with the prices Sears was charging about 5 years ago..."

No wonder your Janome reminds you of your Kenmore.
Thanks again. I'll check out Ken's Sewing Machine and Vacuum Center.
A former member
Post #: 1
I have a Janome and love it. The only thing I aspire to now is a Babylock Evolution. Pattern Review is also an excellent site to reference. Best Stitches in your decision. ~Ginny
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 36
I've bought several used machines on eBay, and only one of them had been well cared for. I paid big bucks to get them into useable condition. Whether it's new or used, buy your machine from a reputable dealer who stands behind what he or she sells. For this reason, Sew Much More is my choice.

I was pleased to see that Stitch Lab had finally updated the sewing machine recommendation page. I think the information there is good. Janome is a wonderful machine.