Sewing with Style Message Board › Our First Meetup: Silkscreening?

Our First Meetup: Silkscreening?

Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Hi everyone!

I'm excited about helping to organize one of these Meetups. The First Samples studio has taken over some office space that has a workroom with a sink, and an outdoor area that is enclosed on three sides... In other words, we can get a little messy with our first Meetup.

So Shauna and I wondered if any of you have good experience with silkscreening, and would like to lead a First Samples Meetup?

I have read a couple of online tutorials and it seems really cool and pretty straightforward, but I am guessing that the results get better each time you try it. So if we can wrangle a relatively experienced silkscreener to lead us, we can have a super productive and fun day!

We could actually offer this Meetup as a free event for those who just want to watch and learn, but ask for a fee to cover cost of supplies for those who want to actually silkscreen.

What do you think?

Thanks, everyone --
Antoinette
A former member
Post #: 15
I don't have any experience with silk screening, but I would definitely go to the meetup to learn about it. Depending on how much it is I would like to participate also.
Malissa L.
mlssfshn
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I haven't done silk screening either but everone I know who has hates the process. Alyson droped the screening from her collection, except for tees, because the screens couldn't produce the fine lines needed for her artwork. I've recently had the opportunity to make a screen with a thermofax machine and have been experimenting with elmers gel glue and textile medium. Both are fairly easy, the glue and textile medium take about 3 hours or more with a complicated design and drying in the oven. Thermofax takes about 10 mins max and your ready to print but your width is limited to about 11".