addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › please help a lost beginner

please help a lost beginner

Angie
user 96741512
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, I am a complete beginner to sewing (I just started last year!) but I am trying to make this bluedress. http://www.michelecar...­
I made a dressform of my exact body and outlined the design on the dressform and fit some muslin complete with darts. I transferred my markings to paper and am now making a mock up of the dress but I am having trouble with which pieces I should sew together first. It is bunching up in the seam between the front bodice and skirt. I am think I am in over my head. Maybe I didn't even make the right pattern pieces. Please help me with any advice if you can. I'm just worried about getting the pattern right and will worry about the decoration later. If anyone can offer suggestions that would help me so much and motivate me to keep at it!
Thanks so much.
Angie
http://www.michelecar...­
Malissa L.
mlssfshn
Haysville, KS
Post #: 80
With out seeing what you've actually cut it's hard to say if what you have is right or wrong. I do offer individual sewing help in your space, if you want to go that route. This is a very complicated piece to make, lots of hand work and sheer gathered down.
Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 40
I love the shape of the dress, but it would be challenging for an experienced sewer, even with no embroidery. There are a lot of pieces to go together and some of them are angled or curved. If you have sewn the band that goes under the bustline to the top part of the bodice, and are now sewing the skirt to that underbust band - if that is where you are having the problem, it could be it's because it's a slightly curved seam. Remember that what needs to match up are the seamlines, not the cut edges of the pieces. Something that could help is to first sew a machine baste stitch just a hair less than the seam allowance width on both pieces you are trying to sew together. That way you can see where the seamline will be, and you can carefully pin and/or hand baste the two pieces together, matching those machine basted lines of stitching. If you can get them to match up, then machine sew them the pieces together just a hair outside the machine basting, so the basting stitches don't show. Try to take this slowly and think through each step before you do it, and that might help you.
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 40
I second Karel's well-put thoughts and advice! Another thing to remember is you're trying to copy a costume that has been hand made by someone highly trained and experienced. Even though we've been sewing from patterns for years, none of us would get results anything like the artisan who created the Daenerys Targaryen Dragonscale Dress. (Yay, GoT!) I'm curious, what do you want this garment for? Just because you want to wear it, or is it for cosplay?

Roseana
Angie
user 96741512
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Thanks for your replies everyone! Yes, I agree, I had to convince myself that I have to make adjustments to this dress to make it easier for me to make. Karel, I will try your suggestions, I made some changes to it last night, and accepted the fact that I just need to make it work the way I know how. Roseana I'm making this for me to wear for cosplay. San Diego comic con is July 16th, so it has to be done by then! I have some awesome props as well. I just enjoy making costumes. One thing I didn't mention is that there is a cloak that goes with the dress (good thing I can get a commercial pattern for that), So, a lot of the dress will be hidden anyway. My friends said I shouldn't worry about making the dress perfectly because the cloak will cover it, but I'll know what it looks like underneath and I won't settle for mediocre work, haha.