Sewing with Style Message Board › New Event: Silk Screening - Trial by Error

New Event: Silk Screening - Trial by Error

Shauna S.
tumbleweedtucson
Tucson, AZ
Announcing a new event for First Samples Sewing with Style!

What: Silk Screening - Trial by Error

When: Saturday, October 27, 10:00 AM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description: Hi there First Samples Sewing with Style Seamsters!

My apologies for the delayed decision on our first Meetup date. I was trapped on a tropical island for a few weeks.

I have been pondering deeply the question "silk screen or stencil?" I have questioned others "stencil or silkscreen?" After reading all of your comments and emails and looking through actual and internet examples, everything leans towards stencils. They are quick, easy, inexpensive and can give good results.

That's why we are going with SILK SCREENING! Do the stenciling at home...

I'll set up some tables (doors on sawhorses) in the First Samples courtyard and well set up a dark room (flourescent light box in a closet). I'll have a bucket of photo emulsion and a silk screen squeegee.

You bring:
1- silkscreen frame(s) the size you want
2- your t-shirt or fabric or book cover or whatever you want to print on (we take turns so don't bring a whole armada or you'll be left with superfluous surplus - say 10 items tops...)
3- a picture printed on transparency paper the size you want it (think about your screen) - inkjet printers don't work for this printout, I am told. High quality laser prints do. Get them done at a copy store. Or you could paint black directly on a clear plastic sheet I guess. You do the research and tell me...
4- the colors of ink you may want to have that will be outside the norm (black, white, red, yellow, blue)

Check out http://www.craftzine....­ and read through to see what you need to do / are in for.

Silk screen supplies can be found at local art supply stores and online. We used Asel Art Supply on MLK (http://www.aselart.co...­) last time.

BECAUSE THE PHOTO EMULSION WE PUT ON THE SCREEN NEEDS TO DRY IN A PITCH BLACK ROOM BEFORE YOU CAN EXPOSE IT TO YOUR PICTURE, PLAN ON SOMETHING TO DO FOR AN HOUR OR TWO AFTER YOU PUT THE EMULSION ON YOUR SCREEN. If you bring your sewing machine, you could sew inside. If you are a late riser, you can get breakfast after you emulsify your screen, then come back. Or whatever... Just be prepared. We're cleaned up an outathere by 4:00, so don't procrastinate.

The way I see it, this event will be chaos if more than 20 people show up, so the cap is 20. Also, bring a bit of cash ($20 suggested donation) to cover the set up, clean up, emulsion, inks, etc. I will work on bringing in a professional to "guide" us. Otherwise, me and my husband did it once before. We made clothing labels and silk screen images for t-shirts and pockets an promotional items for a client. It was messy, unpredictable and rewarding. We still get compliments on some of the pieces.

Think Christmas gifts, Haloween costumes, family reunion t-shirts, promo items for your fledgling company, whatever...

Here's to embarking into uncharted territories! Thanks to Antoinette for getting the ball rolling on this one.

Learn more here:
http://sewing.meetup....­