addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 45
Here is the recipe for Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies from Martha Stewart. A couple of things make this recipe different. First, it does not require using a mixer — this is a stir cookie recipe. Second, you don't cream the butter and sugar together — you melt the butter and maple syrup and add it to the dry ingredients. Third, the main leavening, baking soda, is added in an unusual way. And fourth, the cookies are baked at a lower temperature than most recipes call for — 300 degrees. The yield calls for making 12 big cookies. I preferred to make about 20 smaller ones. I found dried, unsweetened coconut shreds at HEB, in the area where packaged nuts and dried fruits are sold, near the produce — NOT in the baking aisle.

Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal (or rolled oats is okay, too)
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded desiccated coconut
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 3/4 ounces (1 cup) walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped

DIRECTIONS

STEP 1
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Have ready 2 baking sheets lined with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk the oatmeal, coconut, flour, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
STEP 2
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and maple syrup. Heat until the butter is melted. Remove from heat, and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the baking soda with the boiling water. Immediately stir this mixture into the melted butter and syrup until combined. Stir into the oat mixture. Fold in walnuts.
STEP 3
Form balls, using 3 tablespoons of dough, and place about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets, 6 to a sheet. Flatten each of the balls slightly. (I don't do this, I make my cookies smaller.)
STEP 4
Bake until golden brown and set, about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Susan K.
moonthirty
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 8
Thanks Roseana! These were sooooo yummy and I will definitely add the recipe to my collection... :)