Sewing with Style Message Board › A Potential Instructor For Us

A Potential Instructor For Us

Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 47
I'm here at Sandra Betzina's sewing retreat in San Francisco. She brought in a guy, Paul, a local fashion design school instructor, sewer, designer, who spent two days with us helping to fit pants. This guy is very creative in how he addresses fitting issues and body parts that need to be made more attractive, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I talked to him about our meetups, and the kind of people who like to come and their interests, and I told him how much I thought we would all enjoy a presentation by him on what one can do with pants to make them more attractive and interesting. Another related topic he could address would be how we can get creative with our bodice and skirt slopers once we get a good basic fit. He would be willing to come if we paid for his airfare and lodging. I told him we'd discuss it. At our next Pattern Review I could give a brief report on some of the things he taught us, which were very enlightening. We can see how much interest there would be in contacting him to possibly arrange a visit. Maybe Jeanie would like to host his visit. I bet he'd love to visit TexStyles to talk to Benson about whatever he's got going currently in the fashion industry locally. Paul's a very funny and approachable guy that people will really enjoy.
Susan K.
user 6508523
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
It sounds like you are having a marvelous time!! I wonder if it's the same "Paul" that does the draping class on Craftsy that I've been looking at? He is from SF too.
I have missed you guys -- I'm working full time and now in school again also, so while I've done a tiny bit of sewing I've haven't had the time for the sewing-socializing lately. But hopefully I will see you all again soon...
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 57
Is it Paul Gallo? How great Sandra did that!! (Sometimes those ladies get upset when they don't have only Sandra, 24/7.) She is always looking for ways to enhance their experience. She used to bring in Kenneth King, too, when he lived in SF. I would love to hear about it. And I want to tell you all about the Sarah Veblen seminar. It was pretty great.
Susan K.
moonthirty
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Looking forward to hearing more about all of it! And we've missed you, Susan! :)
Tracie
TracieH
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
Wow, what a wonderful sounding class! I am looking forward to hearing about it. I would definitely love to take a pants fitting course in Austin with a great teacher. Good idea! Thanks Karel
Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 48
Yes! It's Paul Gallo, the Craftsy teacher. I've heard good things about that class. I couldn't remember his last name when I sent the message. If he were to help us actually fit pants, that would probably take a couple days. So, we'll have to figure out how involved people want to get and how much of a commitment we'd be willing to do.
Jeanie/ The Common...
user 11091760
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
I'd be happy to talk about hosting! Maybe at the next Project meet-up. Or, if you aren't going to make it, drop me a line.
Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 49
Great. At the next Pattern Review I could give a brief report and we can discuss what we would want/how it could work.
Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 50
We're still working on trying to get Paul Gallo to come to Austin to do a workshop with us. More details to come. Paul just sent me this link that announces the product he's developed for making garment alterations and other things. Thought you might be interested. http://makesomething....­
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 61
Those clips look pretty great. Think I'll get some. Hey, just a random question: If something can be worked out with Paul Gallo, can registration be opened to locals first?