addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › help sewing a slipcover or reupholster a couch

help sewing a slipcover or reupholster a couch

yeni
user 87584752
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
hello, I'm looking for help sewing a slipcover for my super comfy but sad looking couch. I don't feel confident doing the work by myself. or if you know how to reupholster I'm in for the challenge. join me in this adventure to save the Earth by not purchasing new when old will work!!!
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 62
Hi Yeni,

Upholstering a couch is a fine skill that most of us garment sewists are not going to be able to help you with. There's a reason it costs money — it takes training and experience to do it well. Austin Community College has a training program in upholstery. Spruce, a local woman-owned upholstery shop, sometimes offers classes in simple upholstery projects. They are really the queens of refurbishing diamonds in the rough. Keep in mind, upholsterers don't save you money. They save the furniture.

Slipcovers are different. They . . . slip over the old upholstery.smile I just found a very pretty project online:

http://www.remodelaho...­

The main thing here is, use some plain muslin fabric to make a pattern, first. And mark the stitching lines well.

Come hang out with us sometime.

Roseana
yeni
user 87584752
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Roseana,

Thank you for the link, that is exactly what i need! my couch is awesome i just need to make it better. I will start the pattern and they come by so you guys can help me put it together. once more thanks for the link, so far this is the easies and more detailed one i found.
see you soon,
Yeni