Sewing with Style Message Board › important memebership update

important memebership update

Shauna S.
tumbleweedtucson
Tucson, AZ
Sorry for the boring subject line, but I do think this one is important. I'll hit it like a list:

1- Welcome new members! Nice to have you with us.

2- Thanks to all of you who came to the last meetup at Space 312. Anslee, you did a wonderful job pulling it together. I was a little nervous having not been in front of a group for a while, but you guys were great! I really enjoyed myself and I hope you all did too. Anslee is planning on holding regular clothing swaps there once a fashion season (four times a year). If you would like to help or be involved, please contact her.

3- Dues for this group are up again, and since First Samples (a sewing space I used to run for those of you who aren't familiar with it) is no longer open, I can't justify being the only person to support the group. It cost $142 per year to run this meetup in dues alone. So, I'm going to be requesting a membership fee soon. Maybe $5 per person? We'll see. One of our meetup members has volunteered to be the treasury and help me with this endeavor. She's a super responsible person and is involved in many local charities. I hear that once a meetup group switches from free to semi annual membership dues, you loose about 1/2 the members. That's cool. A member that isn't actively involved is just a name on a list anyhow.

4- Once I send out the membership request, I'm also going to change the set of questions that are asked upon signup. I've had TONS (4000 lbs. maybe? ;-)) of people tell me that they want to meet experienced sewers and learn from them and experienced seamsters who want to share their love of sewing. So I figure that if I have a better set of questions like: how long you have been sewing? what you want to get out of the meetup group? and whether or not you would like to learn from / teach other members? you guys read throug and hook yourselves up. I also have someone who is interested in helping to coordinate smaller sewing groups.

5- Our next meetup will be on Leather working. If there is anyone out there with experience, please contact me. I've dinked around with it a bit and have some good books and held a couple of leatherworking freelance jobs, but I ain't no expert. We'll be holding the meetup at Tsunami Cycles where the owner, David Barrientos, has graciously offered to open his shop to us to work in on a Sunday afternoon. Details to follow soon.

Thanks again for the great meetup last week and for your continued support and involvement!

Keep on Sewing!
Shauna
A former member
Post #: 26
sweet.

i love the idea of the new questions.

with the leather works... will it include things like the leather sole booties for kids? i can't remember what the focus was.

i may have another potential meetup place. i'll keep you posted.

~v