Sewing with Style Message Board › SEWING WITH STYLE IS BACK!!!

SEWING WITH STYLE IS BACK!!!

Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
What kinds of meetups would you like to see for us Austin-area seamsters? Be as general or as specific as you like, though specific ideas are usually more actionable. :)

A few categories that might spark an idea or two:
* sewing sessions - with machines or by hand
* learning, studying, discussing different sewing, embellishing, fabric techniques
* fabric shopping trips to Dallas or Houston
* Project Runway viewing parties

OK, tell us what's on your mind! What meetups would you want to attend this end-of-summer/ fall?
A former member
Post #: 1
I am so glad this group will keep going! My "skills" are beginner-speed, so I'm interested in learning and practicing. Thank you! :D
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
Yes! A reply! smile Thank you, Cat -- are you new to sewing garments or new to sewing altogether?
Cynthia
CraftGrl
Leander, TX
Post #: 8
I love sewing, right now I make quilts and small items. I really want to learn more about garment sewing. So I am glad that the groupw will remain and new meetings will form soon. Thanks.
Adriana
SewingEnthusiast
Austin, TX
Post #: 515
Hi eveybody! I'm Adriana, the proud mom of 2 little ones. I barely have time to sew but I do love the idea of making my own clothes someday! I am a beginner and would love to get more comfortable using my machine and not so hesitant when sewing one little stitch. I need to practice practice practice, but I definitely need to learn the techniques first. Any plans on having a sewing class for beginners? :)
I look forward to meeting you all!

A former member
Post #: 2
I don't know if I ever attended any of the Meetups, but I met some of the group through classes at First Samples. I am a beginner seamstress, so I enjoyed having more experienced seamsters around to help when I got stuck. I also appreciated the social aspect of getting together with other people to sew. Sewing alone at home always got edged out of the way by something else that would come up. :) SO, group projects would be fun. Like if everyone was working on something similar. But I remember that finding sufficient studio space after First Samples closed was an issue...
Anna N.
Anna_Nguyen
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
What kinds of meetups would you like to see for us Austin-area seamsters? Be as general or
as specific as you like, though specific ideas are usually more actionable. :)

A few categories that might spark an idea or two:
* sewing sessions - with machines or by hand
* learning, studying, discussing different sewing, embellishing, fabric techniques
* fabric shopping trips to Dallas or Houston
* Project Runway viewing parties

OK, tell us what's on your mind! What meetups would you want to attend this end-of-summer/
fall?

Thanks for getting this going again Antoinette.

We met briefly at a SewingWithStyle "fabric bazaar" in Mar last year. I'm afraid I've been a
stranger since then. I hope to make it to more events.

I'd vote for sewing sessions as well as learning/exchanging notes on techniques.
Of particular interest to me currently are:
o Working with slinky/light/fluid fabrics
o New-life-for-old-T-shirts ideas
o Millinery
o Dyeing

I'm indifferent to fabric shopping; it's not like I need to add to my "to do" stash of fabrics! :)

Finally, I think viewing parties for "Project Runway" or viewing of fashion show pics on style.com
would be fun.

Well, there it is; I hope others chime in as well.
Anna N.
Anna_Nguyen
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Oh, and I forgot to say: I'm not opposed to sewing sessions geared towards beginners.
I'm willing to offer my guidance and advice ('cause I love to show off :) ).
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
I love sewing, right now I make quilts and small items. I really want to learn more about garment sewing. So I am glad that the groupw will remain and new meetings will form soon. Thanks.

Thanks, Cynthia -- I think we'll have a Meetup soon though it may be a more social one, for us to get as many people out and introduced. We'll be sure to send out word via email and on the message board here. Hope to meet you soon!
Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 10
Hi eveybody! I'm Adriana, the proud mom of 2 little ones. I barely have time to sew but I do love the idea of making my own clothes someday! I am a beginner and would love to get more comfortable using my machine and not so hesitant when sewing one little stitch. I need to practice practice practice, but I definitely need to learn the techniques first. Any plans on having a sewing class for beginners? :)
I look forward to meeting you all!

Hi Adriana - We're trying to get the full scope of what sewing schools/ classes are out there, so we can make recommendations. There will probably be Meetups that involve hands-on sewing at some point, that will be great for people just learning to sew -- we'll be sure to email the membership and post on the discussion board, so please double-check your settings to make sure you are the first to know! When we've had hands-on meetups in the past, they have been limited in size and have filled up very quickly.