align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › Recap of "Pattern Review" meet-up, Tue Oct 6, 2009

Recap of "Pattern Review" meet-up, Tue Oct 6, 2009

Anna N.
Anna_Nguyen
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
[Antoinette kindly provided us with this recap of our "Pattern Review" meet-up tonight, Tue, Oct 6, 2009. aqn]

Hi everyone! Thanks again for a great Meetup tonight. Here's all the information I recorded from the evening:

Andy -- Hooded cloak -- download pattern at http://www.burdastyle...­
Also: Haute couture prison inmate dress - M5583

Nozomi -- Men's shirt - Burda 8471

Carlota -- Plum knit cowlneck Banana Republic knockoff

Leslie -- Knit kimono-style top and dress - S4020

Roseana -- Decades of Style Kitchenette Pajamas

Susan -- Silk tweed jacket using stitch & flip lining method - S4698

Etienne -- Breezy cotton top - S2596
Also: Knit top w/ bubble hem - S3882

Kristin -- Pleated neck top - V8392

Sources for gridded pattern paper - both online -- Atlas Levy, Southstar Supply
Source for studs and spikes -- studsandspikes.com -- great customer service, BTW

Based on Roseana's suggestion, don't be surprised if we call this "Sewing Project Review" from now on!

Take care and hope to see you all next month!
Anna N.
Anna_Nguyen
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
It was a great meet-up. It's cool to banter about and see stuff that other people have done. In addition to seeing great clothes along side the patterns that begot them, I learned a few things:

• Pattern-Ease is a great material for making patterns. I've heard of Pattern-Ease before but had no idea how great it is for patterns. Thanks, Leslie!
  • Susan brought her stitch-and-flip jacket. She was inspired by an article in Threads back in late 2008. Roseana mentioned Shannon Gifford's stitch-and-flip classes on patternreview.com. I searched a little bit but did not find the class itself. I did find two reviews of her classes on http://www.patternrev...­ as well as these other reviews:
  • David Page Coffin has a new book out on tailoring trousers: "Making Trousers". A quick Googling also reveals this blog of a DPC faithful. Edit: Ooops! That blog is actually by DPC himself! smile

Antoinette P.
user 4688389
Austin, TX
Post #: 16
Thanks, Andy! :)