addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › Sewing lessons/classes/beginner help

Sewing lessons/classes/beginner help

Rachel C.
user 11033152
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I've searched online and looked on Craigslist and in UT's Informal classes--I'd like to take some sewing lessons to get me a bit more familiar with sewing. I have no real experience, but I'm a logical learner and want to create another hobby for myself. If you have advice on where to take classes that offer use of a machine, or if you yourself are interested in giving some instruction, please let me know. I want to buy a used machine after I get some instruction/lessons. I appreciate and help and advice. Thank you.
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Rachel,

Hi! Contact me. I am forming sewing classes for absolute beginners (or beginners again) in my studio. I'll set the days and hours according to when students are available. I've got plenty of machines for you to use. A four-class series is $100.

You'll learn all about machine operation, handling fabric, choosing a first project, and some basic construction techniques. After you get a few projects under your belt, you'll probably have a better idea of what sort of sewing you want to pursue — garments, crafts, home dec, quilting, art projects, or something else you dream up.

"Logical learners" are great by me! I've been sewing (on and off) for over 30 years, but I've spent the last 10 really refining my construction and fitting skills. I still take as many classes as I can to stay fresh. I've helped friends learn to sew and recently led a Meetup on preparing a pattern for cutting.

Roseana

Malissa L.
mlssfshn
Haysville, KS
Post #: 7
Rachel, I also do classes please see my craig's list post Seamstress, Pattern Maker, Samples, Production, Lessons (Ben White and Woodward) .

I'm currently teaching 2 students pattern making and sewing skills on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm open to any other day of the week.

thanks,
Malissa