May 2, 2013 · 9:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Note: Showtime is 9:30 p.m. Running time is 133 minutes. Tickets are $14 as part of a CineVoucher 10-pack, $15 general, and $14 for students/seniors/disabled, available at the SFFS Web site. We'll meet in the ticket holders line or, barring that, in the lobby afterward.
The San Francisco International Film Festival returns for its 56th edition, presenting 200 films and live events from April 25 through May 9 at venues in San Francisco and Berkeley.
Choi Min-sik ("New World," "Oldboy") and Ha Jung-woo ("The Berlin File," "The Chaser") star in one of South Korea's most acclaimed and highest-grossing films of 2012, a period gangland drama set in Busan.
Synopsis: The intertwined fates of a corrupt businessman (Choi) and a mobster (Ha) rise and fall through a decade, culminating with President Roh Tae-woo's 1990 declaration of war on organized crime.
Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRFKk3gYBE
"The next great gangster movie." -- Jacob Templin, Time
"A muscular and enormously entertaining South Korean crime epic that might have Scorsese looking over his shoulder." -- Megan Lehmann, The Hollywood Reporter
Official selection of the BFI London, Busan, Fantasia, Melbourne, New York Asian, Shanghai, Sitges and Vancouver film festivals
- Best New Actor (Kim Sung-kyun), 2012 Baeksang Arts Awards
- Best Actor (Choi), Best Supporting Actor (Jo Jin-woong) and Best New Actor (Kim), 2012 Buil Film Awards
- Best Screenplay (Yoon), 2012 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards
- Best Actor (Choi) and High Commendation (second prize), 2012 Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Best Actor (Choi), Best Screenplay (Yoon), Best Music (Jo Yeong-wook) and Popularity Award (Ha Jung-woo), 2012 Blue Dragon Film Awards
- Best New Actor (Kim), 2012 Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards
- Best Film, 2012 Busan Film Critics Awards
- Best Actor (Choi), 2013 KOFRA Film Awards (Korea Film Reporters Association)