addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

#SFMySQL Meetup Message Board › 45 million page views/day on 300,000+ mysql databases?

45 million page views/day on 300,000+ mysql databases?

WadeW
WadeWarren
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
I see a lot of posts here from recruiters looking for experienced mysql experts but I'm not a recruiter... I'm the hiring manager and the Vice President of Technical Operations. I've run production operations teams at Organic, Loudcloud/Opsware, Verisign, Netflix and now Wikia.

We're growing fast and looking for awesome people in a lot of technical roles. We really need to add another MySQL expert to the team. I know there's a lot of competition out there for database experts and for good reason. MySQL is now used at every company on the internet and they all need experts to help grow their business.

Why Wikia?

Our TechOps team is awesome. Our developers are great to work with. We all sit together, work closely together and hang out together after work. If you want to see what a DevOps culture looks like in practice, ours is the best example I've found. We're an international organization with domestic and international Development and Operations teams. What's the big deal? Can you imagine an on-call rotation where you only have to be “on-call” during the business day with a weekend every 7 weeks?!

Our service is growing ridiculously fast. The list of interesting and challenging problems we have yet to tackle is long. Can you imagine engineering and operating a site that has over 300,000 mysql databases, serves 45 million page views every day and needs to scale to hundreds of millions of users?

We're one of the largest "creative commons" sites. We're a stable and profitable company that contributes to and is heavily invested in open source software. We use the Percona distribution of mysql and we run our entire platform on the MediaWiki project at a horizontal scale even Wikipedia doesn't have to deal with. We and the CDN we developed in-house and spun off as a separate business run the only ENTIRELY SSD based production environments on the internet!

We’re passionate about performance and look into every nook and cranny for ways to make every part of our service faster for our users. You would have an amazing opportunity to start here early to help us grow the service to an even more massive scale and go from serving 45 million users a day to 100’s of millions! You’ll make an impact on the world and you won't have to wait long to see it happen. We already have the growth to push our infrastructure to the limit. If you want to be a part of a great platform and an awesome team, this is your chance!

Our ideal candidate is a senior MySQL expert. Someone who's comfortable with low-level mysql tuning and pushing efficiency and QPS to their limits. Do you dive into stack traces, salivate over good GDB output and pour through the source code looking for bugs and optimizations? Do you love to automate tasks and build tools to do your work for you then move on to more interesting challenges?

You want data? Our traffic generates 500MB/s of log and performance data and we want to STOP sampling!

Here's a short sample of some of the things we're looking to accomplish:
+ Optimizing our hardware profile to extract the most performance out of every bit and cpu cycle
+ Tuning MySQL to make it sing and dance in spite of it's limitations
+ Learning, analyzing and deploying features to improve scalability and capacity
+ Anticipating the release and upgrade to MySQL 5.6 and taking advantage of it's new features
+ Automating our HA to minimize the impact of hardware failures + Growing our analytics cluster as it becomes a production critical system

If you're interested, have the skill and are looking for a great job in a stable company that's cash flow positive and still has the start-up culture where you can still have a life, go to my profile page and send me an email!

Cheers,
Wade