July 9, 2013 · 5:30 PM
*Please take note of the important check-in details at Yelp (outlined below)*
We've been hearing about IPv6 for a while (it was originally conceived in 1994), and while IPv4 has served us well for over 30 years, it appears the inevitable is finally catching up to us. Fortunately, Owen DeLong, an IPv6 Evangelist at Hurricane Electric, offered to tell us about what the future has in store for us. Note that this event is not really Android/Java-specific, but rather of consequence to all developers that touch the network stack. This event is co-organized with the SF Java User Group (please RSVP only once).
This session will begin with a discussion of the importance of adding IPv6 support to applications which use the network followed by an introduction to the fundamentals of IPv6. Finally, we'll analyze the same sample application (client and server) implemented in IPv4 and then ported to IPv6 in C, PERL, and Python.
As always, food, drinks, and the venue will be provided by our sponsors.
About Owen DeLong
Owen DeLong is an IPv6 Evangelist at Hurricane Electric and a member of the ARIN Advisory Council. Owen brings more than 25 years of industry experience and is an active member of the systems administration, operations, and IP Policy communities.
In the past, Owen has worked at Tellme Networks (Senior Network Engineer), Exodus Communications (Senior Backbone Engineer) where he was part of the team that took Exodus from a pre-IPO start up with 2 data centers to a major global provider of hosting services, Netcom Online (Network Engineer) where he worked on a team that moved the internet from an expensive R&E tool to a widely available public access system accessible to anyone with a computer, Sun Microsystems (Senior Systems Administrator), and more. He can be reached as owend at he dot net.
- Doors will open at 5:30pm to allow enough time for the check-in process.
- Please update your meeting handle to reflect your FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME. Security will be checking IDs at the door. *Please note: You WILL NOT be allowed into the event unless we have your first and last name (that matches the name on your ID) prior to the event.
- If you are not comfortable updating your Meetup handle to reflect your legal names, please send me a direct message with first and last name.
- Beer and wine will be served at this event, so please keep in mind only folks 21 and over are allowed into the event. (Another reason for the ID check)
- Guestlist will be closing at 11:45AM the day of the event (Tuesday - July 9).
- If you will be coming with a guest, please provide us with their first and last name as well.
- Waiting list folks will be allowed into the event AFTER we get through all the confirmed attendees.
- Yelp is generously providing an awesome venue space, so please be respectful of the attached event terms/guidelines: YELP EVENT GUIDELINES.
- If you have RSVP'd but find you can no longer attend, please update your status to allow room for those on the waiting list.