There is a one of a kind racing opportunity for The Great Vallejo Race coming up, which is the largest and most fun race of the year. Not to mention the largest and most fun party, too! Don't miss this race and party. This will also be quite instructional and a good introduction to yacht racing.
The race starts near the Berkeley Circle on Saturday morning, rounds a single weather mark near Alcatraz, and then heads to Vallejo, usually under spinnaker for the remainder of the race. Upon completion, the party starts!
Element Sailing has 5 openings on one of their crewed 1D35 boats. The Element Sailing campaign consists of a half day of training and 2 days of racing. Day one is usually a down wind race. Day two is a shorter upwind race. Boats race in a PHRF fleets. They will go over boat preparation, role allocation, and boat handling. This is a fun race that covers approximately 40 miles.
Full into is located here: http://www.elementsailing.com/racing/75-the-great-vallejo-2013
- Exclusive charter of a 1D35 boat
- A half practice day, 2 race days or choose a single Saturday or Sunday race day.
- Element Sailing Pro racing team.
- All race registrations/ fees
- All berthing fees, fuel, on/off shore maintenance support
- Full race equipment Lunches, snacks and beverages each day on the boat.
- Element Sailing goodies (shirts, hats and others)
- Event Management
- Event and Crew Photographs
The half day of race coaching and practice includes:
- Preparation and set up of yacht
- Crew preparation and role allocation
- Overview of racing rules, starting techniques and race navigation
- Effective use of race navigation instrument
- Upwind boat handling - effective tacking, hiking for speed and sail trim. Downwind boat handling - Spinnaker sets, drops, gybes and trim.
Element Sailing offers the program on a 1D35. This high performance boat creates an exhilarating experience every time you're on board. The boat can be sailed with either a pole and a symmetrical spinnaker or a bow sprit and a asymmetrical spinnaker. The jibs are non overlapping and cockpit is laid out for ease of sail handling.
Note: in addition to your RSVP here, you must sign up with Element Sailing at http://www.elementsailing.com/booking !Tell them Sailor Dave sent you.
The full program of practice plus 2 days racing is $350.
The practice session and one day of racing is only $200. This is quite a deal for such a major sailing event.