Sep 28, 2013 · 10:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
Ever wanted to know more about marine canvas?
In this 90 minute introduction we'll get familiar with marine canvas. Topics will include:
• Materials: Sunbrella, Shelter-Rite, Phifertex, Cotton Duck, Surlast
• Thread: V92 polyester, PTFE, Tenara
• Machines: walking foot, industrial sewing machines, clutch motors vs. newer and more controllable DC motors
• Zippers: coil vs. chain, Bigzip, YKK #10, how to place end-stops and how to replace sliders
• Fasteners: snaps, lift-the-dot, common-sense fasteners.
• Binding tapes: 1" 2 edge turned, 7/8 centerfold
• Techniques for making simple double-rubbed hems
This is intended to give boat owners, and potential marine canvas "riggers" an overview of the field, which can be a flexible career for those who don't want to sit in an office and who enjoy being out on boats and around the water.