align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The San Francisco English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › English Bulldog Tailpocket Health

English Bulldog Tailpocket Health

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,

For the last few months my dog has been experience an itchy tail-pocket, which cause him to do the itchy tail dance. This causes more issue with rug burns and infection. I clean his tail-pocket regularly and have tried everything to keep his tail-pocket clean and dry to curtail the itchiness and rug burns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what products I should use or provide how they maintain their dog's tail-pocket that has worked?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ky Lewis

I've used:
- KetoC Antiseptic Wips
- Witch Hazel (suggestion of my vet)
- Triz Ultra + Keto Ear cleaner on a baby wipe (suggestion of my vet)
- Bactine (to fight bacteria)
- Vetrycin
Buster and L.
user 35987842
San Francisco, CA
Buster has been having the same problem lately so I've been using vet prescribed wipes called Mal-A-Ket and Gold Bond powder from Wallgreens. It seems to have helped a bit and Buster seems less irritated lately. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you! I will try that.
Molson
user 11536569
San Ramon, CA
I wipe molson's tail folds with Desytin every now and then. Just to get the itchy out.
Ken
user 10485147
San Francisco, CA
Your dog's anal glands may need to be cleaned - your groomer or vet can do it if you don't want to...
Craig O.
user 31080762
Berkeley, CA
Duoxmo is also good. Simialar to Mal-A-Ket I think. It's on Amazon.
A former member
We give ours canned salmon a few times a week. Helps with all his itchy skin problems, even the tail pocket. Also, make sure you are feeding no soy, wheat or corn dog food. Bentley is also sensitive to chicken. But, the best thing we ever did for him was to give him drinking water from the Britta and not the tap. When we rescued him he was on steroids for the itchiness, in between his toes and his tail pocket were the worst. Filtered water cleared up most of it. Try different food and filtered water.
Molson
user 11536569
San Ramon, CA
Talcum powder or corn starch seems to help molsons folds...