The San Francisco English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Soft Palate Surgery

Soft Palate Surgery

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,
I am looking for more info regarding my bully getting soft palate reduction surgery. Any comments from other Bully owners first hand experiences would be much appreciated. (Recovery, results and costs along with Vet recommendations)
Thank You!
Richard A. H.
user 22448961
Newark, CA
Post #: 3
Hi,
My Bully, Fremont had the surgery last year. He still has some breathing issues but I think the surgery definitely helped him. It cost about $2,000 and the vet I used was Dr. Walls at Sage Animal in Concord. He was good and performed this procedure many times before.
I hope your Bully is well
Richard
Leah & Chad R.
user 97969332
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi, our Maxine had the surgery about 8 months ago. Her breathing has improved. They also opened her nasal passage as well. Unfortunately she had major complications three days after surgery and went into repspitoryr distress. She was at UCDavis vet hospital for 8 days. Had that not happened I would say all went well. Just mAke sure you have a really good vet. Total cost of the surgery was 2100.00. We have pet insurance and they covered 90% of the cost.
Hurley
user 10360307
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
My boy Hurley had soft palette surgery about 4 years ago at Avenues Pet Hospital. He was operated on by Dr. Schwach who is a Bulldog expert and has performed thousands of these operations. The result was amazing. Hurley was like a brand new dog. His breathing is now super quiet and his energy level increased greatly. He was back to normal in a few days and he experienced no complications or side affects. We were very fortunate to have a great experience.

The cost of the surgery was $1,500, but again this was back in October 2009. I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Schwach even if it's just for a consultation.