addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

San Franciso Game Development Meetup Group Message Board › San Francisco Stock Taxation: Discussion

San Francisco Stock Taxation: Discussion

A former member
Post #: 7
Please discuss the topic here.
A former member
Post #: 1
This a very valid subject to debate, taxes being every ones concern one way or another. However, if a few or many companies choose to leave SF,, they could always head over to the East Bay and I'm sure be welcomed.
Cheers to all.
Kat
PMac
user 9451173
Chicago, IL
Post #: 53
How about heading over to the Midwest (Chicagoland)? They are thirsty for opportunities in game development.
A former member
Post #: 8
If San Francisco keeps the proposed tax bill, I'm sure many other cities will begin seeing development studios heave over.
Rick D.
user 13023678
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
i still stand by the fact that many of the great things that make us want to work and live in the city are supported by taxes. it IS a big draw to potential employees to create a startup in SF. arguments about losing tax revenue by leaving is questionable. many of the young tech savvy employees choose to live in the city regardless of where they work. they will take their salary dollars and spend them going out to restaurants and clubs throughout the city.

i also still stand by the fact that most of these local startups owe their success being located in the city. the best of both worlds, work for a promising startup located in the city you want to live in. its shameful, in my opinion, to choose to try and "short-change" the city tied to your success.

other arguments about companies getting larger and moving additional employees to other cities or states is really a case of SF being an expensive city. employee pay is higher, regardless of payroll taxes. also, since the city is small geographically, i would imagine its difficult to scale beyond a certain size. that is entirely another discussion.

there used to be a time where businesses felt a social responsibility to their city or towns, now i feel it just a "race to the bottom" of finding a place with cheapest labor, taxes, rents, with any social good be damed!
Rick D.
user 13023678
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
in addition, i would be less outraged if they were discussing eliminating the payroll tax entirely. this would, at least frame the question fairly. AND would never happen with all of the city's budget problems. the fact is, the options in question are taxed after being "realized" or sold. this means employees have been"paid" by these options. is that not "real" money? if i as an employee of a recently IPO'd startup just got 1 million from my options why should that NOT be payrolled taxed when a thousand SF employees which are paid $1000 a month were payroll taxed? that would not be fair in my opinion.