*Please take note of the important check-in details at Yelp*
So we've talked about Scala before (Jan '09 and Feb '12), but since the language never ceases to amaze me, I thought we should revisit it again, this time with Dr. Venkat Subramaniam, the author of "Programming Scala: Tackle Multi-Core Complexity on the Java Virtual Machine" (among other titles).
Scala is a statically typed, fully OO, hybrid functional language that provides highly expressive syntax on the JVM. It is great for pattern matching, concurrency, and simply writing concise code for everyday tasks. If you're a Java programmer intrigued by this language and are interested in exploring further, this talk is for you.
We will go through a rapid overview of the language, look at its key strengths and capabilities, and see how you can use this language for your day-to-day programming. This session will be coding intensive, so be ready for some serious Scala syntax and idioms.
The venue, food, drinks, and giveaways will be provided by our sponsors.
About Dr. Venkat Subramaniam
Dr. Venkat Subramaniam, founder of Agile Developer, Inc., has trained and mentored thousands of software developers in the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Venkat helps his clients effectively apply and succeed with agile practices on their software projects, and speaks frequently at international conferences and user groups. Venkat is also an adjunct faculty and teaches CS courses remotely at the University of Houston. He is author of ".NET Gotchas," coauthor of 2007 Jolt Productivity Award winning "Practices of an Agile Developer," author of "Programming Groovy: Dynamic Productivity for the Java Developer" and "Programming Scala: Tackle Multi-Core Complexity on the Java Virtual Machine" (Pragmatic Bookshelf).
- Doors will open at 5:30pm to allow enough time for the check-in process.
- Please update your meeting handle to reflect your FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME. Security will be checking IDs at the door. *Please note: You WILL NOT be allowed into the event unless we have your first and last name (that matches the name on your ID) prior to the event.
- Beer and wine will be served at this event, so please keep in mind only folks 21 and over are allowed into the event. (Another reason for the ID check)
- Guestlist will be closing at 11:45AM the day of the event (Tuesday - May 14).
- If you will be coming with a guest, please provide us with their first and last name as well.
- Waiting list folks will be allowed into the event AFTER we get through all the confirmed attendees.
- Yelp is generously providing pizza, drinks, and beer on top of the venue space, so please be respectful of the attached event terms/guidelines: YELP EVENT GUIDELINES.
- If you have RSVP'd but find you can no longer attend, please update your status to allow room for those on the waiting list.