SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group Message Board Community News › "The New Meetup" - What do you think of the changes?

"The New Meetup" - What do you think of the changes?

Sreedev M.
San Leandro, CA
Post #: 1
Hey fellow organizers,

What did you think of the big meetup site changes that took effect today? I think some of them are positive and can help make groups more community-centric. My concern is that I as a group organizer did not get any advance notice of the changes from Meetup. Even 24 or 48 hours would have been helpful -- getting the news saying that it had already happened was a major curveball in my day today.

Did you get advance notice? If so, how did you get that notice? If not, how are you rollilng with the changes, and what are your thoughts about 3 or more members "liking" a meetup to announce it to the group, and the other possibilities with any member of the group (not just event organizers, assistant organizers, etc.) being able to create meetups? I'm a bit leery about possible spam coming through that way, or topics that members like but aren't related to the group theme. But it's an interesting idea. Until I have some time to figure out how it all works, and to reach out to my group members and hear from them, I've switched my group for the moment to "only organizers can create meetups," which, interestingly enough, was not the default after Meetup made that change today. The default was a meetup is created when 3 or more members like a meetup.

On a positive note, this may be better than the old "ideas" section....

Would love to hear your thoughts about all of this, but particularly about whether or not you knew these changes would take effect before they came down today, and if so, how you found out. Just want to be prepared for the future!

Thanks Edith, Andrea and the Leadership team of this meetup group!

Best wishes,
user 5618101
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 57
I wasn't informed about these changes, except in vague terms that something big was going to happen to the meetup website this week.

I used Ideas for one of my groups, but turned off the feature for my other one. The old Ideas feature was better than this new scheme that mixes up members' ideas with events that were actually scheduled by the leadership team. Now you can't just say you "like" an "Idea"; the only way you can express interest is to say "Count me in" -- even when you have no clue where or when the suggested event might be!

As for the new feature of having members plan events without the involvement of the leadership team: I don't know any organizer who is interested in using that feature, but if some organizers do, then I don't think there's much harm in allowing them that option.

As well as running a couple of local groups, I'm also the organizer of Members Against Meetup's New View:
user 2970943
Oakland, CA
Post #: 30
I didn't like the new format- the google map with it's logo and all looks messy-
I also didn't like not being informed, and I truly wanted the option of using the old format.
Last time they switched formats- they did give notice and you had the option of using the older one for a while,
although eventually you had to switch over.

I liked the old idea format much better- if people voted for the idea- and the person wanted to plan it
then we discussed it- together to make it happen. But I also can't imagine using the new one.
One thing that happened with my meetup is that people misused the "idea" function–people would post their own money making functions- that had nothing to do with the meetup.
I can imagine if I allowed 3 or more to decide on groups- that would happen all the time and it would no longer
be a true meetup.

So with that function gone, it's too bad. I tell people in the Welcome letter to post ideas- now all they can do is post to the discussion ideas- or e-mail me.

I really wanted to write to support and let them know- they should elicit the feedback of organizers -
and it would be nice to have some options.
Mike T.
Concord, CA
Post #: 34
Honestly? I think it sucks! for an number of reasons.

1; I had NO IDEA that these changes were coming and I have an 80 person ride/event coming to my house in 10 days!! I take medication for high blood pressure, 1 pill every day, yesterday for the first time ever I took 2.

2; I run a 250+ member motorcycle group, not your typical "biker" group, but one that does rides, events and charity runs. When the Indians get to run the show your dealing w/ lives on the road!!! We would use the "Idea" section to see which ones got more response and then the organizer's or HOST would post the ride/event. We would map a safe route, find hotels, restaurants, where to start, where to finish. So now the members get to "Post" a Ride or event, the I/WE get to work our asses off trying to make this happen?

....Oh, did I tell you that we are related to two other M/C clubs that do the same thing....they have almost 400 members in those groups....EACH! So I coordinate w/ them so we don't run over each others rides/events.

(the "host" option is GONE too!!) MY "hosts" do a LOT of work to make these rides/events happen. Now it does not recognize them and just says "Mike helped"??????

3; I/we use the Calendar to gage the time between rides/events it took me 15 min just to find the Calendar.

4; We had just posted what we are "about" that had been in the works with several members for a number of weeks and now it's just GONE????

5; On the right where we RSVP there was a thumbnail size pic of the person attending and now it's so small I have no idea who the person is. Why don't you just give them a number because I thought this "Meetup" site where PEOPLE GET TO MEET PEOPLE!!!!!![/b]

6; There is now a "map" where it used to say what my address was. This map puts a marker out in the middle of I don't know where. It shows "County Rd 1515 and County Rd 1616"???? I live in a City and how the hell do I bring the map up????????????

7; And we would use the edit option to make parts of the ride and or event STAND out to get the member's attention. Now it's just one bland list of words

I have to go to work today and have run out of time so I can't finish this. I'm off tomorrow so I MIGHT be able to then. And I have to go take another blood pressure pill

user 8269507
Pleasanton, CA
Post #: 3
Everyone I spoke to does NOT like the changes. To hard to follow and find stuff now. Its made the website too choppy.
A former member
Post #: 200
I hate the changes and am currenlty looking in to alternative sites to meetup. I pay $288 a year for the 6 sites my wife and I run. I'm sure I can find better for less.
A former member
Post #: 9
Yeah, unfortunately not a fan either. This new layout gives huge emphasis to the ideas section, where before it was incorporated nicely into the feed of people saying hello, new members joining, etc. And there doesn't seem to be any way to minimize it??

The idea of three people voting and the meetup is created is kind of odd. I hadn't even been aware of that before this discussion, thanks for the heads up. I could understand if it was just three people wanting to meet for coffee, but they could do that via messaging. If it's a big group or a planned event, and no one really knows what they're doing in terms of organizing, it could get pretty bad and the meetup just becomes a forum with informal gatherings being organized by everyone, rather than a group with leadership.

I love the experiences that Meetup has enabled and the friendships I made, but I wish they and every other social networking site would stop tinkering just to tinker, and open up settings no one expected to be opened. It's like Facebook randomly removing privacy settings. Everyone can now organize but only the organizer(s) has/have to pay? What? Not cool, Meetup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :) K thx!
A former member
Post #: 5
Pretty unhappy with the changes and considering moving to another platform..any one else thinking about it?
Dianna H.
Santa Barbara, CA
Post #: 11
Not pleased with a lot of the changes. Thanks for the heads up on changing the setting so members cannot form events on their own. I have emailed friends to change their settings. I don't know why this was ever done -- what is the Organizer's purpose? To build a network for others to take over at will? One individual can sign up under three emails and effectively hijack the group!

Something also changed some of my font colors, leaving event descriptions (after I click on the headline) almost invisible on the chocolate background and I can't fix the problem even with Group Appearance changes or HTML code changes for the text box. I have spent hours trying to fix the appearance. I have sent in a Help question on this.

The map is too prominent. Every edit I make to events is listed for all to see, even if not relevant to the group and there is no way to delete these notices. Members do not need to know who chose a venue or when they did that or who originally entered an event. In short, there is too much transparency of group administration and editing.

I have six groups. This is not good! I have already received a message from someone proposing that organizers refuse to pay their dues. I'm afraid Meetup has made a big mistake and I am a very strong proponent for Meetup.
A former member
Post #: 54
Hello MJ,

Thank you for posting on the drastic changes abruptly handed to us by Meetup.com.

Our group, SFPCN, had no advance notice of the changes.

The new format for an event posting removes the option to post a photo or graphic displayed with the event description. We used that option to post a head-shot of our speaker or a graphic used for our workshops. SFPCN does not pay speakers, so the head-shot posting was one way we could compensate the speaker with free publicity. We posted the graphics to illustrate the contents of our workshops to inform participants.

Meetup.com has removed all the head-shots and graphic attached to our past events. That's equivalent to Meetup.com removing language from our past event descriptions. Is that just and right?

SFPCN has petitioned Meetup.com to restore the event photo/graphic posting option and restore the head-shots and graphics belonging to our past events.

Please contact Meetup.com and ask that the event photo/graphic option be restored.

United we can change corporate policies that take benefits from us.

Thank you,

George Main
San Francisco Professional Career Network