addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group Message Board Community News › "The New Meetup" - What do you think of the changes?

"The New Meetup" - What do you think of the changes?

Darcy
user 2970943
Oakland, CA
Post #: 31
In responses to the About Page
"4; We had just posted what we are "about" that had been in the works with several members for a number of weeks and now it's just GONE???? "

I hadn't even noticed that- and I was using that as well- So I kept looking for it and it is not in something called
"pages"-

Weird eh?

Darcy
Luca
luckymethod
San Bruno, CA
Post #: 10
You should fire the product manager that concocted this abortion. He truly has no idea why people uses meetup.com, and what, as organizers, our problems are. You guys didn't make anything that needed to be improved better in any way, shape or form. The new design is a truly dismal failure of connecting with your user base.

Trust me on that, I know what I talk about. I run the most active user experience group in the Bay Area, we know software down here.

This was one of the most disastrous launches I had the misfortune of enduring by any company, EVER.

My meetup this week had a 70 members limit, and 65 more in the waiting list. Well, thanks to a ginormous bug, when the new version rolled out, all members in the waiting list got moved to "Yes". I had to ask people NOT TO COME, so attendance ended being pretty poor. Thanks for ruining my event.

You guys are lucky there's nothing out there that competes with you, because if there was I would move right away.
Luca
luckymethod
San Bruno, CA
Post #: 11
One more thing: I'm not a motherfucking "helper", I do all the work and I pay to keep the group alive. Being listed as "helper" rubs me the wrong way.

Fuck you meetup.com, if you care this much about your customers, I'll bring my money and my users somewhere else.
Peter
user 5618101
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 68
I started a San Francisco community under OrganizersUnite:
http://www.meetup.com...­

A meetup group organizer in New York is keeping a list of all the changes here, as customers report them:
(Note: This is a meetup organizer who is doing this in his spare time. He does not work for the company. He's merely doing the job that the company should be doing.)
Jim D.
user 6837898
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
As the lead Organizer for San Francisco Professional Career Network, I was surprised and disappointed by the new changes to our web page. We discovered the change on Thurs morning in a jumble of mis-formatting to our formerly nice, tight weekly announcement. One of our organizers had to go in and learn the format and totally redo the announcement. No warning, no suggestions, just a cheery message coming form Meetup later in the day. Bad move Meetup. The page layout is sooo not as cool as the former. Bad move!
A former member
Post #: 17
Like some others, I'm thinking of looking for a new venue for my group because I feel hijacked by Meetup. Don't like the changes, especially that if I want to send an announcement about a new Meetup, it has to go to the whole group, not to just "those who have been active in the last six months," etc. People are now dropping out of the group because of the increased emails.

The original Meetup format I knew from 2007 was just fine to me -- I don't understand people who change things that are working perfectly well just for the sake of changing them, and this newest action by Meetup seriously has me thinking of other alternatives. What's extremely irritating is that Meetup doesn't even respond to input, as best I can tell.
Dianna H.
diannaharbin
Santa Barbara, CA
Post #: 12
1/30/11 additions to my previous comments:

I chose my font color in Word and pasted that in and it worked. Now, members can see the text! Black on chocolate wasn't working very well!

But now I realize that Meetup has made the map prominent at the expense of the images I had embedded in my event descriptions. My event images are now thumbnails at the bottom of the page, including on all the past events, ruining the layout and the message! What? Wrong priority!

We built the membership network and now Meetup has decided to sell our networks to advertisers through the "Perks" program. But the Perks program only benefits our membership network through discounts and Meetup.com itself through fees from the companies. We Organizers have no financial benefit. Meetup doesn't even care anymore that the "sponsor", now "advertiser", is relevant to the purpose of the Meetup. Big screen TV perks from closed real estate transactions really have nothing to do with my Meetup groups!

Do they really think that Organizers are driven by the passion to give members discounts and bring advertising revenue to Meetup.com while we get nothing? Do they really think that our groups will attract members because our groups have "Great (always changing) Perks", not based on the value of our activities? Do they really think that if Organizers quit that we are easily replaceable by others in our network who will step up as Organizers and do just as good a job? I'm getting the impression that Meetup has decided that the Organizer is expendable when, in fact, the Organizer is the heart of Meetup!

Every day, I'm getting more upset as the changes become more apparent to me!

I have been considering giving a presentation at a trade show on the value of starting Meetup groups but now I am reconsidering. How can I recommend something if it keeps morphing into something different?

My 1/29/11 comments:

Not pleased with a lot of the changes. Thanks for the heads up on changing the setting so members cannot form events on their own. I have emailed friends to change their settings. I don't know why this was ever done -- what is the Organizer's purpose? To build a network for others to take over at will? One individual can sign up under three emails and effectively hijack the group!

Something also changed some of my font colors, leaving event descriptions (after I click on the headline) almost invisible on the chocolate background and I can't fix the problem even with Group Appearance changes or HTML code changes for the text box. I have spent hours trying to fix the appearance. I have sent in a Help question on this.

The map is too prominent. Every edit I make to events is listed for all to see, even if not relevant to the group and there is no way to delete these notices. Members do not need to know who chose a venue or when they did that or who originally entered an event. In short, there is too much transparency of group administration and editing.

I have six groups. This is not good! I have already received a message from someone proposing that organizers refuse to pay their dues. I'm afraid Meetup has made a big mistake and I am a very strong proponent for Meetup.

Michael G
user743047
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
The home page with the next 6 meetups listed seems overkill. I definitely prefer the prior format.
Darcy
user 2970943
Oakland, CA
Post #: 32

A meetup group organizer in New York is keeping a list of all the changes here, as customers report them:
(Note: This is a meetup organizer who is doing this in his spare time. He does not work for the company. He's merely doing the job that the company should be doing.)

Are you suggesting we join both the Organizers Unite meetup (the one you started)?
and the other one with the guy in NY?

He says that meetup has only heard back from 1% of us- that's not enough for us to be heard.
Peter
user 5618101
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 98

Are you suggesting we join both the Organizers Unite meetup (the one you started)?
and the other one with the guy in NY?

He says that meetup has only heard back from 1% of us- that's not enough for us to be heard.
Yes, I'm suggesting joining the OrganizersUnite Meetup Everywhere. The whole Meetup Everywhere thing doesn't seem as active as Meetup Inc. had been hoping it would be, but I guess we can always try.

Will in NY was only posting a list of changes for the past 4 weeks. His latest post, from last week, says that he no longer has the time to maintain the list.