SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group Message Board Community News › Meetup Has a FREE Text Alert Tool to Help Attendance

Meetup Has a FREE Text Alert Tool to Help Attendance

A former member
Post #: 34
You all know you can set automatic reminders and depending on your group, that may or may not be received well, but did you know Meetup can text message your attendees when they RSVP "Yes" for events? As an attendee I've been getting these messages for months and they're frequently helpful.

Below, (in the non-Meetup/HTML bracket type so they show in this posting as text) is the coding I started inserting into my event postings to help raise attendance on the days of my events. FYI, I also put it up prominently as a "Sponsor" of my group.

Anyone who signs up for this free Meetup service will get a text message three hours before any event (for all their groups) they RSVP "Yes" to...NO OTHER TEXTS from Meetup. Period. Again, this is for ALL their "Yes" RSVP's, not just for one group. If they don't RSVP, they don't get bothered, so it's not like the emails many people hate and have little control over.

In this case, if they sign up, they get texts. If they don't sign up, they get no texts so it's obviously under their control. The nice thing is that getting a text three hours before a Meetup starts means they're more likely to remember to show up! Plus, the text message includes the Meetup location, phone number and (I think) a link to the event on the internet so smartphone users can browse to it. I've been getting them for so long that I may be a bit fuzzy on that last part....

Below is the coding I use, with dividers to make it jump out at them. After that is what it looks like on the page as coded below.

To use the code yourself, replace the "<" and ">" tag indicators with the "[" and "]" symbols Meetup uses. Obviously you can change the color, size, etc. at will and it will be narrower on event pages than on this forum page.

<color=red><divider>­<size=2>Did you know you can get a <b><i>free</i> Meetup reminder text message</b> with details of each event you RSVP "Yes" to three hours before it starts?
<center><b><url=http://­www.meetup.com/account/sms/><u>­Click here to see how to turn on FREE SMS Meetup reminders!</u></url></b>­</center></size><divider>­</color>

Did you know you can get a free Meetup reminder text message with details of each event you RSVP "Yes" to three hours before it starts?
­Click here to see how to turn on FREE SMS Meetup reminders!

I hope this is helpful for you! I also have a widget for Wunderground's weather for the day of the event if you're interested. Also free and not ad-supported.

Cheers,

Kevin Donnelly