June 13, 2009 · 10:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
We may be able to open up more spots, so please RSVP to the wait list!
Friday June 12th, 6-9pm: mixer and software install.
Saturday June 13th, 10am-4pm: workshop (lunch provided).
This workshop is intended to reach out to women who are new to Ruby and Rails. To register, you must identify as a woman. Men, you are welcome to come if you find a woman who wants to learn Ruby and Rails who will register and bring you as a guest.
In this workshop, we'll take you through building a complete web application using Ruby on Rails. By the end of the day, you'll have an application on the internet that connects to a database and reads and writes information.
There are two tracks: one for people with limited or no programming experience, and one for people with experience in other programming languages and frameworks. Each participant needs to bring their own computer. We'll meet up Friday evening to install any software you need, and then spend Saturday learning and writing code. Childcare is available.
When you RSVP, please include
* your operating system
* your child(ren)'s age(s) (if you plan to bring any along)
Many thanks to our sponsors:
* Orange Labs for providing the location, plus breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
* Vodpod for drinks on Friday.
* SlideShare for logistical support.
* DevChix and RailsBridge for organizational support.
* Addison-Wesley for donating books and coupons for "rough cut" PDF books.
* Manning for donating books and offering attendees a discount code.
* Balsamiq for offering attendees free copied of Mockups
We are seeking additional sponsors, so please get in touch if you'd like to donate or help out. The best way is to email rubyworkshop at gmail dot com.
We're also looking for volunteers - see here for more details: